Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thursday Thirteen

I had already been thinking of doing a pet post when Wanda listed hers. Ironically, I came up with thirteen (not including fish, rabbits, or gerbils).

1 Shadow was our first cat. He was a little black stray that James brought home from work one day. A very friendly kitten who, even though we had him vaccinated, eventually died of feline leukemia.

2. Gracie was our first dog. Her momma was a poodle that belonged to my uncle. Being pregnant and dealing with a puppy didn't mix too well back than and one day I let Rachel take her home to Grandma's house where she lived out all her happy days.

3. Misty was a German shepherd mix given to James by a friend at work. As a pup she was a stray on the streets of Rochester. She thought I was her mommy and followed me everywhere including the library where she would hang around outside until we came out. We had her for twelve years until her arthritis was so bad she couldn't get up anymore.

4. KC, short for Kitty Cat, came from Jim's fourth grade teacher. She was the stereotypical cat who would bite your backside when she wasn't happy with you.

5. Peaches was a big, fluffy orange tom cat who showed up at our house one spring when the kids were still little. He gradually worked his way into our hearts and became a family member. He eventually came down with feline HIV. He was a great cat!

6. Oreo came to our door one morning when a woman driving past saw him laying by the street. I took him in because I had a friend who I was sure would take him. He had a dislocated ankle and couldn't walk on his back legs. He was scared to death of us but took a liking to Peach. They became fast friends.


7. Ande was a Jack Russell terrier mix and belonged to my son, Dave. He was a wonderful puppy, full of mischief and life. I cried for weeks after James and I returned home to find he was hit by a car. It was my birthday. Not only did I miss the little guy but I hurt for my son who loved him too.

8. Dillon was just a baby when we brought him home, cocker spaniel and blue heeler. He trained easily and loved to play but as an adult dog growled and threatened to bite even my own children. Three years ago I took him to the local animal shelter.

9. Bo Cat was dropped off at the door of Bethany's friend, with five kittens. She needed a home and Beth fell in love with her. In September of 2000 she had another litter of kittens which we found to be a wonderful experience. We gave away all but one.

10. Little Cat is Bo's kitten, although she is twice Bo's size.

11. Jasmine came from the animal shelter seven years ago. She is a wonderful friend but isn't much for chasing balls and sticks. She does sommersauls and loves to have her belly rubbed, and is a great companion on orchard walks.

12. That takes me to Ellie and the fact that I cannot add small numbers correctly. Five dogs plus seven cats equals twelve animals not thirteen.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Martha...I loved hearing about all your pets and their stories. I just know we would be great friends if we lived close enough to see each other. In the meantime, we are great blogger friends, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just need to get you a number 13 I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Priscilla!! Gerbal or hampster for Martha? Hampster and a habit trail! With a travel ball so she can take it with her to visit her sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No rodents, please! There was time, about 8-10 years ago, that I had more gerbils than I knew what to do with! I tried pawning then off to my friends as "living paper shredders" and "compost makers". Baby gerbils were fun the first time but just how many cages can one family keep up with if the pet shops don't want them? I think I'll stick to cats and dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Wanda, I think we would be great friends! I am thankful for blogging and all the friends I've made this way. I look forward to meeting many of them "on that day".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha, that was so fun to read about your animals! You have had so many. My list would be much, much shorter:) It took me quite a while to realize how much fun I would have with an animal or two in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your post. I can't imagine not having pets as part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeffery 15, but I didn't count the few that we didn't keep or plan on keeping.

    I cried after we gave Squeak away. She was an awfully cute kitty and came to us in such a unique way.

    Samson was just a dirty cat and needed to live in a barn.

    Jeffery was Ande's brother, but he peed on my chair the first time he walked in the house. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to train him. He made a good companion for Mr. Carey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all love our animals and have stories to tell!!!
    Animal people are good people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. On #5, I think you meant before Ben was born. He wasn't around before Nate. Peach showed up the spring that the Brian's would come and walk to the library with us. And Nate was around then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, you must be right. I was seeing, in my mind, that photo of Josiah holding him in the porch doorway and thinking it was the year Nate was born. Joe was much smaller then than in the photo.

    ReplyDelete