Thursday, February 07, 2008

Living Dangerously

An icy rain fell most of yesterday. Our back porch, which is a slab of concrete covered by a roof, became a sheet of ice. Even the wooden steps up to the sliding glass door were slippery. When Bethany came to get the baby, I had her come in the basement door. When Bryan came to get Troy, I had him come in that way too. And, when Alysa got off the bus, she also came in the seldom used basement door. I was so afraid someone would slip on the steps like I did last year. (It is not much fun bouncing down ice covered steps even if there are only four of them.) Bethany was kind enough to bring me a bag of rock salt and we eventually scattered it on the slippery spots. By the time Kathie came to get the girls, it was looking much better out there. After supper I decided Ellie should go out for a potty break, so I scooped her up and headed out the door. I had let down my guard and was not prepared for the once again iced top step and down I went. (I suppose Ellie went up before going down?) Do you recall the helpless, humbling feeling as you tumble hopelessly out of control? My hands skidded across the icy concrete as I came to an abrupt halt at the bottom of the steps. Bruised, but not broken or bleeding, I headed back into the house and flopped into a chair to catch up with myself. (At least I didn't feel nauseous this time...) Later, as we headed out to church, I realized my glasses were missing. Could I have been "wearing" them on the front of my shirt when I bounced down the back steps? Ah yes, there they were, frozen to the back porch when we got home.

PS. Ben has made a list of "Ben things" below.

13 comments:

  1. Okay, brain on please! That's what I tell my grandkids when they do something klutzy.
    Glad you are only brused. When you get older, you know you are more seceptable to broken bones don't you? Giggle, giggle. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Martha! You were so careful with everybody, but you!! I am glad you are not broken or bleeding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The brain was turned on, but it was not expecting to have the feet knocked out from underneath it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouchy! Glad you're okay! Good thing you're the shorter sister since you fall the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Martha, my heart skips a beat when I read about how dangerously you are living...slow down girl!!!
    The picture of your glasses is unreal!!!

    Glad you are OK!!!
    LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. You poor women!
    I fell down the stairs once and I still remember how aweful it felt and how hurt I was on my behind.
    I am glad you didn't break anything. Our steps were dangerously slippery, too, in fact, the dog slipped on them last night I saw.
    Today we have snow on top of the slippery ice. But it is still there!!!
    Oh don't you just LOVE winter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, that step is really out to get you. Glad you weren't hurt. and it did make me LOL to see your glasses frozen to the porch. Hope they weren't broken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the green thing that looks like an emerald frozen with your glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish it were an emerald... (It's just the nose pad.) Hannah poured hot water over them and melted the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thegreatmichael said...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martha, I hope you are okay! You sound alot like me. I have taken a couple of falls in my lifetime. Hope your bruises feel better. Hope you can salvage the glasses. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes! That's scary. Funny about the glasses though... I'm glad that you were not hurt.

    ReplyDelete