Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Happy Valentown's Day

While the kids and I were out yesterday, we passed this old building and stopped to take a few pictures. The structure was erected in 1879 as a shopping mall and community center. Looking ahead, Levi Valentine built his mall where the railroad was scheduled to pass.
Sad for him the railroad company ran out of both tracks and money long before they reached the Valentown Mall. The building was abandoned until Sheldon Fisher purchased it in 1940 and turned it into a museum.

I have passed by this spot many times but have never been inside the building. I am curious though. Maybe the kids and I will have go back when the weather warms up and take a look around. Anyone care to join us?

11 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! Take lots of pictures. I love to look at old buildings like these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes please, and take Priscilla and she can set her camera on musuem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Har Har Har, Gmj!!!!

    It's an interesting old building. I pass it a few times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure Jessi would love a field trip.... lemme know when you go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta wait until May when the weather is a bit warmer and the museum is open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it would be a cool place to visit. I love old buildings like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been past it several times too when we lived in Gananda and I went to the mall. I never knew people went inside to look around...I guess I just thought it was a closed down old building with nothing inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I'd love to look around with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As far as I know it is closed and not a museum anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Martha! I'd be interested to know where this building is--I'd love to go see it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gina, this building is just off 96 on Valentown Rd. It sits, ironically, facing Eastview Mall.

    ReplyDelete