Friday, February 15, 2008

This and That

Last Wednesday night I did not have a craft for our church kids class. I thought I could just once get away with handing out paper and markers and letting them draw on their own. Since the class is typically made up of four active boys and one bouncy little girl, this did not produce positive results. This week I decided that a craft was necessary even if it didn't go along with the lesson. We made foam marshmallow puppy dogs, fun for the kids and therapudic for me. I found the idea online months ago and thought it was cute.

Several weeks ago, on a day off school, Kathie dropped off the girls and handed me an envelope. I tucked it under my arm as I tied Ellie out on her leash. "Don't lose it," Kathie said and I assured her I wouldn't. When I got back inside I opened the envelope to find a very nice thank you card and two fifty dollar bills. The money was totally unexpected and much appreciated. I placed it back inside the card, put the card into the envelope, and tucked it into my "spot" by the wall where I stick important stuff. That was on a Monday. I didn't look for it again until along about Friday and then the envelope wasn't there. James feared maybe he had accidentally thrown it out but I was certain he wouldn't toss a card with my name on the outside before looking in it or asking me. I decided not to fret and trust that somehow God was teaching me a lesson I couldn't clearly see. Three weeks went by and whenever I thought of the lost money, I gave it back to the Lord. Yesterday morning we set out for the grocery store but before leaving I had Nate run back into the house to grab the menu I had clipped to the fridge. After we returned home, the kids helped me unload the van while I quickly washed out the inside of my rather grungy refrigerator. I must have been looking for some lunch when I turned around and noticed an envelope with my name on it clipped to the refrigerator door. The card had been there the whole time, hidden behind my dinner menu. I have to smile as I realize the Lord's work in my life. There was a time (and likely still is) when I would have been frantic at losing that amount of cash, but somehow He is there teaching me to lean on Him and trust that He has everything in His hand. Will I pass the next test? I don't know, but I do know He is here taking care of me, growing me, and teaching me to trust Him.

6 comments:

  1. CUTE project!

    Isn't it great to be able to actually see how we've grown? Thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so glad you found the money. I would be freaking out if I couldn't find something like that. Good for you for handing it over to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute project, and I am SO happy you found your money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love the way God works his wonders in our lives.

    Great Story....:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that story. It's encouraging to hear how God is working in our lives.

    ReplyDelete