Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Playing Catch-up

This is Vacation Bible School week at church. Although I normally take part, this summer I have elected to decline participation. I am staying home, cleaning my house, tending my gardens, and attempting to catch up on home schooling paperwork. Ben and Hannah are catching a ride to church with Bethany each morning and I am enjoying a quiet house. Yesterday I did dishes, washed laundry, watered my vegetable garden, and picked a few blue berries. (I also took Nate to the other side of the city to have his guitar tuner fixed.) Today I finished up last year's quarter reports for Ben and Hannah and mailed them, along with their test scores, in to the school (breathe sigh of relief) and tomorrow I will need to pull out the books and see what is on the table for September (groan loudly!). Fifteen years ago when I started this job it was an adventure. We had fun with friends, went on field trips, and did wonderful projects. Three years into it I realized I could not see even a glimmer at the end of the tunnel and panicked. I was very much afraid the tunnel had no end. But, it is finally beginning to look as though the tunnel has an end after all. Ben is starting ninth grade and Hannah will be there next year. Maybe some day I will actually catch up with it after all!

8 comments:

  1. i always wanted to be homeschooled, but no one teaches me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful week catching up. I do remember that panic feeling of homeschool with those reports that had to be in. You definitely can now see the end of the tunnel! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Princess Aurora, your mom still has plenty to teach even if you aren't homeschooled and your parents take you on some pretty cool field trips too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean, it's not always an adventure? The kids don't always "want" to do school? I'm not looking forwad to those realizations - I will stay in denial as long as I can!

    PS- Bethany really looks like a stewardess at VBS! Although I wouldn't recommend that as a line of work, it'd take her away from her cute baby too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking off from the "usual" activities/commitments once in awhile is a good idea.
    I admire you for sticking with the homeschooling like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Sherri, I thought Bethany looked the part too. I think I may have take her picture, but she was not only running late this morning, she was missing the scarf around her neck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joeks, I think maybe I have taken too much time off... or maybe its that my "usual" activities crowd out time to do school.

    Sherri, no matter what happens, its always an adventure! Just not always fun... You stay in denial and everything will be okay. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember field trips... they were fun times.

    ReplyDelete