Friday, August 29, 2008

The Great NY State Fair

Summer is quickly drawing to a close, so this morning we packed a lunch and headed off to Syracuse and the NY State Fair. I am a cheapie when it comes to spending money at carnivals so we did much walking, little spending, and basically enjoyed the sights.

The sand sculpture is always amazing. This year it was an extravogant shipwreck . This is just a small portion.
Alysa tried on some new clothes.

The girls loved the calves as much as I do. We found a little one, smaller than the one here, who sucked on our fingers. It really feels funny.

We checked out not only the cows, but the other farm animals. The pigs didn't smell too bad today, maybe because the weather was cool and it was still early.

I splurged for some ice creams in the dairy building. If we had stayed around a bit longer, we could have had a nice cold cup of chocolate milk for a quarter.
I picked up some fresh produce to take home. Cute aren't they?


And, we had to find the room with the player piano before we left. A player piano is rather like a giant music box. I guess that's why I find them so intriguing.

It was a busy morning and I think most of us would have liked to wander around a bit longer and enjoy the day, but we had to be back by about 4 o'clock, so we headed back to the van and made our way home.
Apparently Priscilla and her family went to the fair yesterday. Here is Allen's account.

11 comments:

  1. Like I told Allen, my kids aren't much for fairs or Disney, but they would've loved the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun....what great pictures. Oh the piglets...We raised a black pig with a white ring around it's neck.... That sure brought back memories.

    The ice cream cone looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun!
    We are VERY busy...that explains my silence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia and I got to play that player piano too. It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a lot of fun. You saw some neat stuff. I love that sand sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had fun too. We stayed longer. We watched the k-9 show. (NY State Police showing what their dogs can do) That was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Fair! When we go, we get the chocolate milk, and the $1 baked potatoes..of course when I was little, they were free. I remember when I was a teen, going with my dad and brothers, and my mother made sausage and pepper for us, and packed it in a cooler, and when we smelled that expensive smell, we had our own.....and we never do the rides...we just like to walk around and look, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! You sound so much like me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for the state fair!

    We won't make it to ours this year, as B. isn't ready for that much walking yet. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute pics. I have received emails of amazing sand sculptures, I love looking at them. Cute little piggies!

    ReplyDelete