Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fruity

I slept way too late this morning. I hate when I am wakened too early and then sleep too long. It always feels like half the day has been wasted, even if its really only a couple of hours. The apple sprayers were going early this morning and woke us up at 5 o'clock. We scrambled to close our window and then I tossed and turned for a while before falling back asleep. When I next looked at the clock, it was well after nine.
I am into jammin' these days. Last night I made a wonderful batch of blackberry/peach jam and today I made two batches of plain blackberry. I am working on filling up that jam cabinet and its looking good. We also had a nice big, bag of elderberries from my very kind neighbor, Bob. Ben and Hannah helped me pull them off the stems and I made two pies. One is in the oven and the other will be wrapped and frozen until Jim comes home from Minnesota in a week and a half. I have noticed that there are some elderberry trees out by the rock wall, but the birds have eaten all but a few of the berries. Maybe someday I will beat them to it. For now we are more than happy to cook up the berries Bob brings over each summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment