Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Another Berry Nice Day

"'I don't keer w'at you do wid me, Brer Fox,' sezee, 'so you don't fling me in dat brier-patch. Roas' me, Brer Fox,' sezee, 'but don't fling me in dat brier-patch,' sezee."

I didn't get enough punishment from the blackberry brambles yesterday. Nope, I had to go back out there with my daughter this afternoon and fill my fingers with more prickers before heading off to the grocery store. (I checked the price of blackberries at Wegman's and found them to be insanely expensive, 2 tiny containers, maybe half a pint, for $6.00. I guess I know why they cost so much!) Last night I made a batch of jam and, while we were over at Bethany's house for supper, I made a pie. Yummy!
So, this afternoon Bethany and I headed back out to fight the ferocious fruits. We braved not only the thorny vines but the not so stable (or visible) stone wall where the blackberry canes are growing. Bethany is a stout and sturdy soul. She fought her way though the prickers and picked a nice big basketful. Yes, I braved the rock wall also and my feet are letting me know they are not appreciative. But, I have another basketful too and while I was at the store, I picked up plenty of sugar, Sure-Jell, and another pack of jelly jars. And... my neighbor also brought me another bag of elderberries. Looks like my family will be enjoying another pie!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys are so blessed to have access to so many yummy berries! You are making me want to make a pie too...I have some sliced peaches and some blueberries in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I smile because I know God takes care of you, you point so many people in the right direction, he gives you fruits for your labors. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the book that my mom has about brer rabbit. He is always quite interresting even though he's a bit hard to understand at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the actual album...yes the vinal kind with the read along story of brer rabbit. It was one of my favorites. and mmmmm good on the berries. it is literally the fruits of your labor eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Berries are so yummy. But my favorite way to eat them is while I am picking them or on top of ice cream.

    The picking doesn't sound fun though.

    Do you ever run into snakes? I was picking raspberries once and there was a snake in the vine; I dropped my bucket and ran.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOur home and activities always brings me such comfort. I bet my kids would benefit from living out in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. T., Shelly has the movie, Song of the South, and I loved that too. Priscilla has the old Disney's Uncle Remus book and it is one of my favorites. Dad used to read it to us and I read it to my kids a few years back.

    Kim, we tried not to think about snakes. I know they are hiding out there somewhere but hoped if they heard us coming, they would slither on off somewhere else. If I had seen one I may have ended up in the briar patch and I don't think I would have fared near as well as Brer Rabbit. "I whatn't borned thar."

    ReplyDelete