Saturday, August 09, 2008

Peter Piper's Pickins

My poor lonely zucchini decided not to grow any bigger (see the beans) and I gave up on waiting. I picked it today and we ate it for supper. So far it is the only summer squash that has appeared in my garden this year. Each year one of my vegetables excels and others falter. This is the Year of the Pepper Plants. We will be enjoying plenty of fried pepper sandwiches this month. Unfortunately, we will not be enjoying too many freshly picked cucumbers.

This morning I decided to ruthlessly clean my refrigerator. I dumped and tossed anything remotely questionable. I found three half eaten jars of Spanish olives, two were dumped and the third added to egg salad which we ate for lunch. There were several containers of Who-Knows-What, and a zip-lock bag or two of What-Was-That? Of course there were also old, but recognizable foods which joined their companions in the garbage can. By the time I was finished the fridge was almost empty and sparkling, so I decided to move on to the freezer compartment. I sacrificed a bag of frozen Cheesy Smashed Potatoes to the trash, but a bag of frozen bread dough made a very nice pizza tonight. A loaf of long ignored Ezekiel Bread turned into lunch along with the egg and olive salad. There remains, in the freezer, three or four bags of frozen chili peppers but they are not the nice big green chiles that I love to put in a pot of stew. If I do not find a use for them soon they will also be bidden adieu. Now its time to clean out my cupboards... We're starting by making a batch of No Bake Cookies.

6 comments:

  1. No bake cookies sound delicious! Yes, our family has cleaned out the refrigerator many times. It fun to find little suprises in there. Some how something just get pushed to the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me to throw some of my unwanted refrigerator items out today. I threw away an old expired jar of Boss sauce, an expired dressing, and some not eaten fast enough leftovers. My freezer is screaming my name, but I ignored it today. We had friends over this evening and with everything I had to do, I just couldn't fit it in. Please don't come and take a picture of my freezer... even if Dave asks you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very ambitious of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous of people with gardens. Your veggies look terrific. (And maybe you will inspire me to take a look in the fridge tonight!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you clean out your cupboards... by making cookies!

    Seriously--good job on all you did!

    ReplyDelete