Monday, April 27, 2020

Today and Yesterday

It rained all day Sunday, but because Saturday had been so beautiful, the rain was easier to take. I went to church online in the morning, and when Hannah and Sergio went out later, I stayed home. While they were gone I started a batch of homemade white bread, and made a dish of bread pudding. Late in the day Hannah and I took a rain walk with Idris. Along the way we cleared debris from the gutters so the rainwater could run down into the storm sewer "where the alligators live."

This morning I took my car back into the shop to have the brakes checked. I need two new brake lines, which was no surprise to me. They are original to the car and it is 11 years old. It won't be done until tomorrow as the shop was terribly busy, but I have nowhere pressing to go so that's okay. Rachel picked me up at the mechanic's and we went back to her house for the day.

It was a wet, gray morning. I had packed Dad's old diaries into my purse, along with my reading glasses, and we spent the morning looking at separate computers while typing in old diary entries. I started with 1964 and she with 1969. We typed along until lunchtime, ate grilled cheese sandwiches and Fritos, and kept right on working until we decided to get up and stretch our legs.

By afternoon the sky was looking a little brighter and the clouds not so thick and heavy. We decided to walk around the neighborhood. The walk felt wonderful. Along the way my phone rang and I heard a cheery voice on the other end of the line. It was my boss Kim. The daycare owner is hoping to begin opening up the center again and we can start back to work next week. We won't necessarily have a multitude of children, but we'll be getting the center ready for the kids to return. The plan is to work 30 hours and get paid for 40. I am ready to go back.

When our walk was over we got back to working on the diaries. It is tedious work. Each book is a Five-Year diary which means minuscule handwriting and lots of turning pages. By the time she took me home a little after 4 pm, we'd each copied from January 1 to about the 17th of March. We only have about 18 1/2 years left to go. Ha ha! It could take us all summer!

This evening I took a little walk around the corner and down to the woods with my camera. Number Nine was home in the driveway playing bubbles with his daddy when I left. I have thoroughly enjoyed spending these last four weeks with him and his mom.

2 comments:

  1. I love it when it sounds like you've had a better day. We continue with the daily battles of keeping the meds so my dearest's weight doesn't spike.
    We are in a good place right now...maintaining both meds and water retention. Yeah. I praise God for good days too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling like I am finally in a much better place. There are hard moments, of course, but they don't overtake me quite like they used to.
      I can only imagine doing battle with medications. By the time Mom came to my house, it was mostly taking her for a periodic blood draw to make sure everything was doing what it was supposed to. Only later did we have to cut back on the blood thinners to combat bloody noses.
      Thank you, Jesus, for good days!
      :0)

      Delete