Friday, April 17, 2020

Adjusting Attitudes

It was a better day. The temperatures outside remain brisk, too cold for gardening and yard work, but mostly suitable for a walk if we dress accordingly. I'd intended to get up early, but didn't sleep especially well, a result, I am sure, of getting myself worked up yesterday.I turned my alarm clock off before it had a chance to sound, and slept in (again).

I spent most of my day at Mom's dining room table. I think of her when I sit there. Every day she sat and looked out the window, watching for the mailman or someone stopping by to visit. There is a bit of a catch in my chest as I remember, and I find myself missing her. Today I sat with my back toward the window, soaking up the little bit of sunlight flowing in, and played games. I worked on a marker drawing in my oversized sketch book, and I made a collage of pictures and words clipped from old coupon books and magazines years ago.

I checked my computer, looked at phone messages, and talked with Hannah and Idris. He played cars. "This guy needs a tow," he told me.
"Where are they taking him," I asked.
And he replied in a rather matter of fact and very, grown up manner, "“They’re taking him to the mechanic.” He's too cute.

Late this afternoon we went for another walk to the village. We did not wear face coverings. I did have a cut off shirt sleeve folded around two rubber bands deep inside my pocket, just in case, but we did not see much of anyone out walking. It was too cold and too close to dinner time.

I found an email from the owner of the daycare telling us he still hopes to open our center come May. Crazy but I'm making more money collecting unemployment than I ever make working. I'm putting the extra in my savings account. If and when I get a stimulus check, it will go in there too. For now the bank account looks pretty good. And I'm still missing the little ones at work. I won't mind going back when it's time.

4 comments:

  1. I don't think face masks are required when you go out for a walk, but when you go into a store or anywhere where there are other peopel where it may be hard to keep the 6ft distance.... at least that was my understanding. Come over and get a couple masks tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why we did not wear them. I now have to choose between wearing a mask or hibernating, unless we are simply out for a stroll. I will stop over. Probably tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I hear you at If and When we get our stimulus check.
    We need it now...scary times but really trying to put my FULL trust in the Lord.
    We had a delightful walk yesterday and had a chance to chat with a neighbor (at the proper distance) again. He lost his wife some time ago and was happy to have some conversation. It was good for us too. I have been trying to download a photo I took on our walk yesterday but don't seem to be able to do it..I wanted to put up another blog post..we'll see what the day brings today. Love your creative side and look forward to seeing more of your drawings.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did some investigating online and found that although the state has my bank information from my tax returns, the IRS did not. I had to pay both times and sent a check. If ad when it comes, it will still go into my savings account.
      Creative comes out when the weather is poor. If I can remember, perhaps the machinery will be better oiled.
      :0)

      Delete