Thursday, April 16, 2020

It's Thursday, If That Makes Any Difference

In some ways I feel as though I should be documenting the historic events of Covid-19, but other than reporting the grim statistics and government mandates, my days look pretty much the same. Yesterday I went to see my chiropractor who straightened my neck. I went away feeling better physically, but a little guilty for having gone out.

We have a new state mandate regarding face masks. They "must"
be worn in public (along with hand washing, social distancing, and gobs of hand sanitizer) if you dare to venture outside your home. Today Hannah, Idris, and I went for a ride to pick up a bag of fabric masks made by a friend. I also dropped off a few jigsaw puzzles to a friend whose son has been enjoying them during this time of staying home. I have more than enough to share and the boxes haven't been opened in months, perhaps years.

I'm trying not to be frustrated. Staying home isn't the issue as much as how to spend the time, and being made to feel guilty if I happen to go out without a mask. It was weird enough when I was still working, but now if we dare to question whether any of this is induced hysteria or overreach, we are condemned as uncaring. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Is wanting life back to normal really selfish?

I woke to sunshine and blue skies, but it was cold and snow graced miniature leaves and branches. I literally drove into a snow squall on my way to drop off the puzzles. Working outside in the yard or putting in a garden would be therapeutic. I don't want to be cranky, and I promise to be nice even while I am frustrated. I am thankful for all the ways God has blessed me, but there are red flags waving from all directions and I'm not sure how to respond.

I actually had to look at the calendar to find out what day it is. (It's Thursday.) It's also Number 3's birthday. Today he is 10 years old. Happy Birthday, Simon! I wish we were having a party, but one day there will be a grand celebration and I'm eagerly looking forward to that day. I hope it truly happens.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Martha. I understand your frustration, but mine is in different areas. We live with CHF 24/7. The constant charting weight, blood pressure, amount of water taken in, the amount peed out, trying with the help of nurses and our Cardiologist PA, Carolyn by telephone, to adjust and readjust meds. I'm not complaining but this is a new normal, and then on top of it all...the virus. Hang in there girl...God has promised to be with us. How hard to have a new grandson and not be able to hold him. Prayers and love coming your way. We are overcomers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am more than blessed, and I will get to see this "small" grandson before too long. I have another in Minnesota who I have not seen or held yet. New normals are hard, but they are nothing new. I've done this before when Dad was sick, when Mom lived with us, and when I moved here. I am okay, and yes, we are more than overcomers!
      Love you and you are in my prayers too.

      Delete
  2. I constantly look at my calendar to see what day it is.
    We are to wear masks when out too.
    Yesterday Hubby and I dropped off big boxes of snacks at our church. They are preparing boxes to deliver to First Responders and ER staff at Kaiser.
    Made us feel good to be out and doing something worthwhile.
    We also braved WinCo which is a grocery store in our area. Masked and gloved and wipes were the order of the day. Its our older son and DinL 29th wedding anniversary in a few days. We bought them a huge package of Ribblets (son's favorite) for them to cook for that special day. Both have been out of work since things got furloughed and so we thought this was the next best thing to getting together to celebrate.
    There'll be a Porch Pass..at least we can do that.
    Today is windy, chilly and overcast. We'll see if we get out to walk the neighborhood.
    Now its on to paying a few bill on line. THEY NEVER STOP...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete