Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Gnome Home

What a fun little project!

Once upon a time a little dresser drawer found itself all alone in the world. Unknown to the drawer, his companions had been separated and shipped off to the junkyard. Saving him from a similar fate were the pile of old papers and variety of little items once tossed inside. For a year the little drawer sat in the attic bedroom and waited.


One day a project was planned. A fairy garden was the dream, and the old dresser drawer would make a perfect container. The little drawer was emptied of its contents and gently carried home. After a thorough cleaning and several coats of exterior finish, it was lined with coffee filters and filled with fresh potting soil. The little drawer felt a strange yet comfortable satisfaction fill his entire being.

A little garden was planted; small jade plants, tiny succulents, and a miniature stone house. (It's really a bird house, but don't tell the gnomes.) A green dragonfly flitted about, along with an orange butterfly. A stone walkway was installed, and a tiny gnome came to play in the little yard. The little dresser drawer nearly burst with pride.

(Okay, so it's hokey. I still think it's cute.)

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy!
    I will not leave my name but i can tell you there is no relation between myself and the author of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then I won't tell your name either.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is just adorable!!! love it.

    did you put drain holes in the bottom? just a thought.

    I see lone drawers on occasion at the auctions. I'll have to keep my eye out for one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had already filled it with dirt when "someone" made the suggestion that perhaps we should have drilled a few holes. I shall endeavor to water conservatively, but I don't think the drawer is water tight anyway.

    ReplyDelete