Tuesday, June 04, 2019

A Hundred Years From Now

Within My Power 
by Dr. Forest E. Witcraft 
 "A hundred years from now
 it will not matter what my bank account was, 
the sort of house I lived in, 
or the kind of car I drove. 
But the world may be different, 
because I was important in the life of a child."

Permit me, for a moment, to change this little excerpt from Mr. Witcraft with some words of my own...

A hundred years from now
It will not matter if the table was perfectly set,
with a spoon, fork, and knife for everyone,
or if the bread was served from a plate,
or the milk was 1 % or whole.
But the world may be different,
because I was important in the life of a child.

I don't know why we let ourselves be controlled like this, or even whether it is the state or the owner who is driving us all nuts, but I can not wait until this crazy kitchen audit is over and the pressure subsides. I'm feeding 40-50 kids out of a kitchen meant for a family of six. I don't know how in the world they think I can keep up. Maybe if I had a 20 minute cycle commercial dishwasher I could at least keep up with all the dishes this craziness generates.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds crazy.
    That's a lot of kids for a small kitchen.
    Hang in there and do your best.
    Praying everything will pass.
    Praying for you and that your stress level will be minimal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy, but it's normally an okay kind of crazy. I am going on a retreat for the next couple of days. Then the kitchen audit on Monday. They don't scare me as much as the owner does. Ha ha! Things will calm down a bit after that, except maybe on Tuesdays when she makes her visits.

      Delete
  2. I hate small kitchens, but I realize that many people have them but in your case it must be nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nuts, but it usually works. That's because the owner isn't typically there scrutinizing every move we make. Things will relax next week.

      Delete
  3. A small kitchen is great for a young married couple or a couple of oldies like me and Don...but for you and your little ones.....Yikes...Put in for a dishwasher.... Don is doing good now, so I'm thrilled to be back on the computer. Missed you...Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my work kitchen. Nothing is likely to change except the pressure level after Mnday's audit. Most days we manage just fine, and I am grateful for my little spot.
      I was just telling my friends how much I miss you!
      <3

      Delete