Friday, August 31, 2007

The Purse

Whose purse was it I wonder? What could have been inside? I must have had a strange fascination with purses when I was a small child. I loved looking through my mom's "pocketbook". It smelled of lipstick and Lifesavers. She kept plenty of pens and pencils in there. We used them when we drew on the bulletins during the sermon at church. She didn't carry keys that I recall, because she didn't drive a car. There were Kleenex in there... just in case one of us needed one. They were usually clean... I'm sure she had a wallet and sometimes the checkbook, if it wasn't in the drawer at home. Hmmm, what else?

I never carried a purse myself until I was in high school. I felt silly with a purse, like I was trying to be someone I wasn't. Eventually it became a good idea to have one. I had "girl things" I needed to carry, although what all that was I don't recall. (Some of it I do.)

Now I rarely leave the house without my purse. It's my little French silk handbag that Ginger made. I won it in a drawing at Christmas and I love it. I always have my wallet (well, almost always). It holds my important stuff. You know, credit card, store cards, my license, medical cards... postage stamps. I have my lip balm and car keys, a miniature calculator and several old receipts, a checkbook that I never use, sometimes some cash, but most importantly... a good supply of gum!

8 comments:

  1. Can't go anywhere these days without gum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't last long cause everybody knows I have it. Guess that's why I do, huh?

    Good night. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture of you searching through that purse! You were the only one in that picture who seemed so preoccupied. Gum is always an important thing to have (sugarless of coarse)to keep the breath extra fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you still have a problem listening to sermons without doodling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to doodle on the bulletins during church too. I don't remember looking through my mom's purse much as a kid though... Hmmm... maybe I did.

    This is a good idea for a post - what's in your purse?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahahahaahhhhaaa!
    Well this post really made me laugh!!! LOL !What a great story "whats inside" and than the picture, thats great! well done.

    But I understand what you mean also, I like several bags which I never bring with me, so in the livingroom, teh sleepingroom everywhere in the house, my bags are laying there, NOT USED, I just bring my 1 favorite bag with me thats all, the others? Hmmmm not good eough?

    have a good weekend :) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute picture. I rarely ever carry gum. Mom used to usually have lifesavers-wintergreen flavor. Tim would find them and eat them all at once, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a gum chewer. It's breath mints for me! :)

    ReplyDelete