Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Neglected

My garden has been neglected and it is showing. The cucumbers are not only gigantic but are also turning yellow and the leaves are mostly dead. I don't know what happened but I have only myself to blame. With little to no rain, watering plants is a must, otherwise they die and this is proof. I had Ben water them yesterday but I fear it is too little too late as far as the cukes. My tomato plants are still looking great. I must have done a better job of watering them. We have an abundance of the grape and cherry varieties and the slicing tomatoes are ripening too. Both yesterday and today I enjoyed a tomato and cheese sandwhich for lunch. My peppers look okay too. I wish I knew a little more about growing them as the bell peppers pull the plants over on the ground and the chiles never grow longer than 3 inches. I guess I still need to work on my green thumb as well as the ambition needed to keep up with my gardens, especially in late July.

12 comments:

  1. humm, how about tomato cages? Is that what they are called? Those wire round things people put around their tomatoes to keep them upright. Would those work on peppers too? Ahh, yes, Tomato and cheese sandwiches, oh yumm!!! You have been very busy with VBS and all and there is only one Martha. So, what to do with cukes? To big for bread and butter pickles? Can you seed them and use the flesh for relish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that would be fun, wouldn't it? Think of the gardens we could grow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gmj, I think the cukes are too far gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I've thus far avoided veggies. Flowers are much more forgiving of my neglect. If we don;t get the promised rain I'll have to do some watering but I'm worried about my well too. I'll have to pick up some tomatoes at the farm stand, I haven't had a tomato & cheese sandwich yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks splendid to me! So lush (is that a word?)
    Our garden is s a d.
    A pitty.
    I don't know why. Maybe we didn't water enough. Or maybe we didn't rake enough.
    Whatever.
    I am glad somebody is having a good looking garden with big fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My poor neglected flower garden... why is it though that the weeds don't seem to need water to flourish?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are, of course, from last year, although my tomato and pepper plants do look very much like these. The cucumbers... well, they're just plain scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to stay positive on those cukes, waste not want not. Know anybody with chickens? Good for a compost pile. Let them rot/decompost where they are and you may have cucumbers at the same spot next year, that is how T. grows tomatoes. (This positive thing is a residule of quitting smoking ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My garden looks very sad too. My peas are ready to be pulled out of the ground (I did half of them today) and my cucumber plants are heading that way too. I've only had short, fat cukes this year. Boo! But my weeds are the worst... Long and scraggley and growing over everything. Quite scary! I wonder if I'll be able to find my squash in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FLowers are more forgiving?!!!!!!????? I have killed all of my marigolds and petunias this year because I got bored and lazy about watering. My impatiens? Don't even ask!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOUR TOMATOES LOOK FINE TO ME..MINE ARE STILL GREEN AND ONLY 5 OF THEM..SAD
    GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete