Sunday, August 05, 2007

An Old Fashioned Rock Garden

When my mother was a little girl, she lived just outside of Rochester, NY in the town of Brighton. Her maternal grandparents, Charles and Carrie Hooper lived on the other side of Rochester on Chili Avenue. Mom's grandpa made beautiful rock gardens where ever he lived. He built walkways, fireplaces, and pagotas. There were bridges and birdbaths and he even had a greenhouse
I'm told that when he sold one house and bought another, he would make another rock garden in the new location. The gardens were quite elaborate and difficult for the new owners to keep up with but Grandpa never seemed to have a problem. Maybe he was retired and spent all his time out there weeding, watering, and working, I don't know... Whatever it was, his were some of the most beautiful gardens in the city of Rochester back in the 1930's and 40's. They even made it into the newspaper a time or two. Sometimes I wonder what happened to my great grandfather's green thumb and then I remember that on occasion I see my own children trying it on. Beth was sporting a rather lovely shade of jade as she worked my flower gardens several years ago. She even grew her own vegetable garden when she was about 16. Dave is often showing off his green thumb as he does his groundscaping job here and there. He loves to take a neglected area and fill it with flowers, ornamental plants and groundcover. I've also seen Ben show an interest in plants and growing things.
As a child I had a strange fascination with cemeteries. They were full of pretty rocks and trees and flowers. Looked like a rock garden to me. Maybe grandpa's green thumb isn't gone afterall!

6 comments:

  1. Love the black and white, and the history of these gardens. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful!! Must have been very wonderful to have that big of a lot to plant a garden! He must have watered a lot for the Irish moss to grow so lush. You have beautiful flower gardens, and a lovely patch of milkweed. Even if you didn't plant it yourself, you are the caretaker. Kinda like adoption? Ya grow any rocks? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, all that stone, I bet it gave your Grandfather a lot of pleasure to make his gardens so beautiful. It's neat that he created new gardens where he moved to. It's almost like an artist creating on a canvas. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And none of that "green thumb" tendency made it's way to me. My gardens are pathetic. Perhaps if I would remember to water them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. True labors of love. His work was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete