Friday, August 10, 2007

A Summer Memory-

My parents didn't have a lot of extra money when we were kids and they weren't the kind to go on lavish vacations, instead they took us camping. When my sister, Rachel, was about a year old, Dad purchased a simple pop-up camper. It was just a tent off the ground, no stove, no sink, no miniature refrigerator, just a folding table and sleeping areas off either side. Thus began a childhood full of summer camping memories.

One of Dad's favorite places to camp was Robert H. Treman Sate Park. Although Dad likes people he doesn't like a lot of loud noise, so he always picked campsites that were either somewhat private and secluded or at least a distance away from other campers. The upper level of the park, where we always camped, had an old grist mill which was a wonderful place for little girls to explore. There were creeks for wading in, waterfalls to admire, and one year, after a flash flood, there was a little known swimming hole in the upper campground. Here we are enjoying the sunshine and water. I remember my brother diving off the rocks and into the water. Dan was a good swimmer (as was my dad) but the rest of us stuck to the shallows. Mom said she could "swim like a rock" and that struck just a little bit of fear into the hearts of three little girls. None of us are great swimmers but at least we can "doggie paddle"!

Ah yes, camping! Roasting marshmallows over the campfire, exploring new territory, singing along with Dad and his guitar, and drinking canned soda pop...

8 comments:

  1. How about getting our feet washed before climbing into our cozy sleeping bags, fighting over who would get to have the dog in theirs, wading in the water on slippery rocks, burning our marshmallows and then peeling and eating the burned part, and then burning them again... I can still remember the smell of the camper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like lots of fun was had. I can relate to the burn the marshmallows, peel, eat, burn again. That was the best! "Wade in the water on slippery rocks"... on feet and hands with bottoms in the air? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that you have these happy childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking us along with you to your childhood! These are some nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had an Apache pop-up when we were kids too. I don't remember going to Treman State Park but I do remember Buttermilk Falls and Taughannock Falls. Those were good times. The grandkids want to go to Yogi Bear campground and be entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been camping since I was a kid. Great memories and a few spidery ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martha, I was just getting over my season of nostalgia...and you've brought it back full force....how I love your photo, and how I love our memories.

    ReplyDelete