Friday, August 17, 2007

The Campout

Yesterday the girls camped out. We made foil dinners for lunch, cooked hotdogs on sticks for supper, and roasted marshmallows and made smores before bed. We included the boys for the food but only the girls slept out in the tent, Hannah, Sara, Alysa, me, and Jasmine. The girls told silly stories and giggled for a while before finally settling down for the night. (I pretended to be asleep and listened.) I struggled with a headache for the first part of the night but when "Mother Nature" called loud and clear, I headed into the house for the bathroom and some Advil. It was 2:30 am and the sky was full of stars. It was breathtaking! Part of me wanted to sit out and just stare up at the sky but the other part doesn't like being out in the dark alone, so I went back into the tent. I fell asleep listening to the crickets chirp.

12 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds like so much fun! Hmmm...Dave will be going to Albany for an overnight this week...I wonder which night he will be gone. Maybe we can make reservations and bring some more hots and smore makings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. I don't think my back could stand the hard ground.

    Thanks for your kind remarks and visit to my blog.

    Abraham Lincoln
    Brookville Daily Photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo! Looks like fun... I'm sure that Sara and Alysa really enjoyed having a campout with Hannah. I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Abe, I need an air mattress! It sounds like you feasted on good camp food. Nice of you to share with the non-campers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In all honesty, I don't sleep very well on the ground either. Sometimes I have a bad time sleeping in my own bed, but once I took the Advil last night, it wasn't too bad. I'm kind of wondering how it would be to sleep in a hammock...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't sleep on the ground without an air mattress either, it's too hard and lumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for the headache but glad the advil worked. Good thing you chose last night, I'm watching the news and it looks like you'll be getting the rain while we'll be dry again. I hope you get enough to do some good! (I cheat and take my aero mattress, the kids start out on beach floats.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here comes the rain! I can hear the thunder and it's getting black.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are good! To sleep outside....
    very brave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh beach floats now there is a good idea! cheeper for the kids.
    I need an air matress too.:(
    I love to camp though. we are going this year if it kills me!
    even if it is in the play room in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you pretended to sleep and listened to their chatter. Kids are so fun to watch and listen to when they don't know adults are around. Why is it mother nature never used to wake us up when we were kids? My back would have been killing me!

    ReplyDelete