Sunday, July 01, 2007

Birds Watching

I've decided that as much as I might like to watch the birds in my yard, they are much more likely to be watching me. The nest down in the apple tree belongs to a pair of Mockingbirds. They do not appreciate my interest in their babies and I do not like being dive-bombed by birds, so I am keeping a safer distance. I enjoy the little hummingbirds that visit me each day but they sure are hard to photograph! The barn swallows have a rather large vocabulary and I like listening to them "talk" when I sit on the porch in the afternoon. I'm not yet sure what kind of bird this is but I know a very nice "bird woman" who could probably tell me.

8 comments:

  1. Isn't nature interesting to watch?
    We have several kinds of birds, but they stayed at a distance while the squirrels were out and learning the ropes. The squirrels have moved now, and the bird are back. I love to watch them and listen to their vocalizations to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally saw some hummers at our feeder. YAY! But mostly oriels (sp?) visit. Can you believe it?? Haven't gotten a picture yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. isn't it a female chickadee?
    looks very much like my nesting ones... who had their babies and now are re doing their nest for more I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a Song Sparrow. They have a lovely set of songs. I have taken many pictures of them.

    Chickadees are black and white or grey and black with the black cap on their head. Looks like a cap.

    Nice photography.

    Thanks for coming to my blog and visiting and commenting. I appreciate it a lot.

    Abraham Lincoln
    —American Gold Finch—

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Abe, I knew you could tell me what kind of bird it was. My next choice would be to call my dear mom and ask her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking it was some sort of sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been trying and trying to get photos of our wrens, but they won't sit still long enough either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovey picture...The tree frames the little bird so nicely.

    ReplyDelete