Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Japanese Beetles have begun their invasion. I am trying not to let them ruin my summer with their endless munching of my gardens but frustration does mount when I see my plants being chewed up. This afternoon I armed myself with a large vase of soapy water and started knocking them off the plants and into the suds. It seems a losing battle but for every one I kill there will be fewer eggs in the ground.
As I was went from plant to plant in my rather scraggily looking milkweed patch, I spotted another little creature, one I have been waiting for, a monarch caterpillar! I have seen the butterflies flitting about and have been eager to find the next generation. This one is nearly ready to crawl off and find a safe place to finish his journey to becoming a butterfly.
The milkweed patch, which is really rather an ugly garden, is full of life. Bees are buzzing, beetles are chomping, caterpillars are growing and grasshoppers are hopping. Sometimes the ugly isn't so ugly if you take a closer look, unless its a Japanese beetle!

8 comments:

  1. I feel for you...they have munched on our poor little cherry tree and our crabapple trees. Dave bought Japanese beetle bag traps, and they work great. You have to put them down wind so that they smell the scent from it and are attracted to it. We have filled 2 bags with those naughty little things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always amazed at your wonderful photography.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the milk weed patch critters, how fun to watch nature evolve... except those bad beetles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should've seen all the beetles at my house last night! Gross! There must've been at least 100 flying around. They collected themselves on the screen door and Louis tried to catch them. When I weeded my garden last week I had a jar of cleaning chemicles handy and I put almost a half a jars worth of those nasty Japanese beetles in there. Maybe I should try Aunt Rachel's traps...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep'm up your way....so far they haven't shown up here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though they eat your plants, the story of the catipillar is so beautiful...such a picture of the new life we have in Christ!!! I hope you can capture the whole saga from catipillar to beautiful butterfly! You really got some great shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Bullfrogs and butterflies, they've both been born again!"

    Yes, the milkweed is there specifically for the monarch caterpillars. They are supposed to eat it. I just don't like feeding Japanese beetles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We keep a bucket of soapy water in the garden and pick beetles whenever we see them. They seem partial to hollyhocks and beebalm but many other plants are suffering.

    Congrats on your cat! I've only seen a couple of monarchs this year and nothing on any of the milkweed yet! Crazy person that I am, I planted Joe Pye Weed today.

    ReplyDelete