Saturday, July 28, 2007

Berry Nice!

I have spent hours out in the blueberry patch today. My face and arms are probably sunburned, a natural occurrence when standing in the high noon sun for too long. I picked two buckets full of berries, most of which will go out by the road to sell. I literally work for peanuts when it comes to this job. There are times when I love the peacefulness of the blueberry patch and other times when I dread going out there again. Funny thing is that even when I'm dreading it I can't seem to drag myself away. Thursday evening I went out, the sun shining overhead, and in five or ten minutes it was raining. The rain was warm so I just kept picking until the timer hooked on my pocket started to beep signaling it was time for supper. The rain was streaming down my face and my shirt was soaked.

My blueberry patch looks a little bit sadder every year. Today while I was picking, a couple of people dove a golf cart by on the orchard road. I heard the woman say, "There's a lady picking her blueberries. That patch doesn't look near as healthy as the Foxes blueberries. Do you want to go see them?" She had no idea I could hear everything she was saying over the sound of their motor and the crunching of gravel. The Foxes own the orchards. They have a beautiful blueberry patch. Maybe some day I'll have a patch like that... maybe not... For now, I'll just enjoy what God has given me and be glad that I can share them with my friends and neighbors.

10 comments:

  1. Tourists!! They should walk a mile in your sandals. God's blessed you with so much, I bet your berries taste better than theirs, which probably has toxic chemicals all over them! I also love to do yard work in the rain, if it is warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your berries look really good anyway. So what that the plants aren't so pretty. I just saw in a gardening magazine that you can buy netting to put over your trees or berry plants to keep the birds away. I don't know how you get in to pick them then. i guess you have to take it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is crazy. I was just at the store and here they want almost $4 for a little container of them. I couldn't buy it. So, I think you have a bountiful harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha's blueberries are the best I've ever tasted and that's no lie.
    I wonder why your patch is not as healthy and beautiful as it once was? Maybe they need to be fertilized or something. ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they are hungry blueberry plants.I think they're starving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I noticed that the lady was on a cart, not picking nor tending her own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to go to berry school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you just stayed in the rain to pick your berries. Rain sounds so good and your berries look so delicious! The other day when it rained a bit I thought about setting a lawn chair in the yard to bask in the rain (it's been so dry!!!) but it stopped when I got home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think of how long you'd be out there if your patch was as healthy as the Foooooooox's. All your "sugar" may have been melted away with all that rain. Hmmm...I wonder what a girl made up of just "spice and everything nice" would look like. Wieeeeeerd!

    ReplyDelete