Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Glowing Report

Ben and Hannah had a great week at camp. I don't think Hannah has ever had so much to say in her entire life as she had to say on the drive home. They learned new songs, made new friends, and can't wait to go back again next year. Bethany made sure to get a package in the mail in time for Hannah's birthday. Whoever gets a package or three letters in one day has to sing in order to receive their mail. This is a long standing tradition which Bethany is well aware of. They do sing as a group so it isn't quite so embarrassing but they must sing. Aside from going to chapel twice a day there were plenty of activities; fishing, archery, swimming, crafts... Each group had to make up and perform a skit for the rest of the campers. I'm told these can be quite entertaining. They also had Bible verses to memorize and lessons to complete. There was a rest time at mid-day and a bit of free time too. They had some rain, mostly at night, and a lot of wind on Friday morning. I'm so glad my kids love this place as I went as a fifteen year old and was less than impressed.

The camp is just over 85 years old and consists of several small cabins for groups or children's camps, a dining hall, craft shack, the "tabernacle" for group meetings, and several privately owned cabins. It sits directly on the shore of Lake Ontario in the shadow of Nine Mile Point nuclear power plant. I joke that my kids always come home glowing but remember too that Moses also came back glowing after his encounter with the Lord.

I'd post a few camp photos but my camera has decided not to work properly. (Wouldn'tcha know?) I will probably be sending it in for repairs early next week. Until then I'll just have to post pictures I've already taken. Good thing I have a bunch!

4 comments:

  1. That is so great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a truly wonderful experience. Those type of events are memories for a life time. My grandson Elijah just got home from a week of church camp, and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad they had fun... I could tell Hannah enjoyed herself because she looked so exhausted on Saturday morning! Too bad about the camera... But good thing for pictures from Gramanita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that they had a good time! My kids loved going to camp and it won't be long before their kids are ready to go.

    ReplyDelete