Thursday, July 12, 2007

Going Buggy!

We discovered a new friend in the milkweed garden yesterday, a ladybug. A few years ago we were innundated with swarms of these pretty little creatures, but this one seemed to be all alone, just crawling up and down the stems of thses white flowers. Funny how we tend to think of some bugs as friends and others as enemies. I don't usually mind a ladybug crawling up my arm but I don't even like touching those yucky Japanese beetles!
A manarch caterpillar is supposed to be in the milkweed, but I don't want green hornworms in my tomatoes! (I hope I don't find any of those.) Ask anyone who knows me well, and they will tell you that my favorite insect is the ladybug. I'm happy to find them anywhere.

9 comments:

  1. Eeewwwwwww!! Those Tomato worms? Those are the worst. They cause shivers and a lot of jumping up and down, screaming for Carl. I will not pick tomatoes unless the plant has been pre-checked, period.
    I do love your diversified garden and bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a little girl we found some strange little green balls in Dad's garden. We took a few inside to show Mom and find out what they were. They were tomato worm droppings! Both my parents rushed outside to find their tomato patch completely overrun with tomato worms. They picked off and squashed one after another, after another. The patch would have been totally ruined by the next day had be not discoverd the evidence. Its been 35 years and I am still terrified of finding those awful things in my tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember dad squashing those horrendous tomato worms! YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yuk. Maybe I don't want a garden. That doesn't sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Lady Bugs, are the cutest of all bugs... and why not...their "female" right?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matha, They look so Sweet when you see them those 'ladybugs', When we were once in France on a beach at "La Rochelle" (westcoast of France) we had to leave that place, because they (name?)were flying all over everything, as a 'tease' really! How you call them (redblackstips?) 'Japanes beetles"? Be Carefull with those hornworms, they eat your T's.

    Have a great and sunny weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that day too! I never saw so many at once! It was crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever seen the lady bug houses? I bet your husband could make you one so they would stay in your garden. They are cute, when there's just a few. I remeber that year of the lady bugs as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I have seen the ladybug houses. In fact, I wanted to have one before the swarms a few years ago. Maybe I can get my son to make me one...

    ReplyDelete