Thursday, April 06, 2023

It's Not Friday Yet

Today was my dentist appointment; the long dreaded, but not really so terrible, exam. It was a series of fancy x-rays without the expected poking and prodding of dentist appointments past. I've gone years (once 20) without having my teeth cleaned or my oral cavity examined. It's childhood dental trauma. The sound of the drill is terrifying even if it's only buzzing in the memory of a ten year old me. The tooth wasn't fully numbed and I had walked to the dentist's office alone... One particular tooth has never liked to sleep and, of course this is the tooth that needs a filling replaced... I keep telling myself that things are different now, that it will be over soon, but deep inside I'm still afraid. 

In other news, two of my boys left home early Tuesday morning on the adventure of a lifetime. They hit a snag on the west coast and I got a Tuesday evening call from a very tired and discouraged guy on the other side of the country. I did my best to hear his plight without adding grief, and to encourage without being trite. I'll admit to a bit of tossing and turning between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, but I was smiling when the same son called the next day with news that they were on the road. The smile grew even bigger when I saw Mt Rainier on one of their Instagram accounts. (I can share, right?) While the mom piece still feels anxious, I am so excited for them.

Back in the olden days, when children wrote research papers in cursive with black or blue ink, the 5th grade Martha was assigned a written report. Each member of our class was designated a National Park on which to write. There were no fancy computers to take us on an imaginary journey. Instead we trudged down the hall to the school library, dug through the card catalog, searched the shelves, and poured over books. I did not enjoy doing research or taking notes. I hated writing reports, and yet somewhere in my bedroom, hidden away in stacks of papers saved is my report on Olympic National Park in the state of Washington. I have to admit I am just a tad jealous. Ha ha!

I'm checking in daily with Leo the Cat who today greeted me with a "Meow" when I opened the door this afternoon and called his name. I'm sure he wonders what in the world happened to his "Cat Dad" and he told me he has no idea what I'm referring to when I tell him he once stayed overnight at my house. He likes his fur brushed and, according to my son, I should also "give him hugs and kisses" and "lovingly call him mean names." I seriously considered staying overnight at the apartment just to keep Leo company, but here I am at home instead. 

It was a short work week with a staff meeting squeezed in on Tuesday. Tomorrow we're closed for Good Friday. I'm still working through my list of appointments. Colonoscopy should have been checked off this week along with the dentist appointment, but I had to reschedule. Next Tuesday I start my new class at the pottery studio. I hear we're going to be making cups. Not quite as intimidating as lidded vessels... Therapist on Wednesday. Yup, I'm still going. Don't always need to, but it's still profitable as I continue to learn about Martha. because understanding myself is always beneficial.

8 comments:

  1. ...have a Happy Easter, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter, Tom!
      (I don't know why Blogger wants you in the spam pile...)

      Delete
  2. What a great post, full of news. I hope the dentist is kind, and you are fixed up painlessly. I recently changed dentists because I had become afraid of going to the previous one who caused a lot of awful pain doing some repairs. A friend recommended a new lady dentist who is gentle, has fixed two tricky teeth quite painlessly, and charged much less money!! Happy Easter to you, your family, and Leo the feline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Easter, Patricia! It has been a productive couple of months as far as catching up on necessary appointments. I will be relieved when this next visit to the dentist is complete and I am entirely grateful to the two friends who unknowingly recommended the same office. I am more than willing to pay out of pocket for someone who will be gentle and kind. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  3. We are always the MOM, regardless of the kids age. Glad things are working out for the "boys" and their fantastic trip.
    Don't get me started about the dentist. Its been over 7 years since my last visit. I need to go but am successfully putting it off for the time being.
    Happy to hear you are doing another pottery class..it sounds like so much fun.
    Happy Easter and hug Leo while you're at it..
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That mom thing never goes away, I just have to pack it back in and tighten the lid again.
      I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one to avoid the dentist for an extended period of time. Did you know there are people who claim to like going to the dentist? *shivers!*
      More pottery is always good. I intend to have a blast this time around.
      Happy Easter to you and Dave too!
      :0)

      Delete
  4. I also have a tooth that never gets numb...my lower left last tooth. That's #18 since I don't have a wisdom tooth behind it. Is yours the same? We might be twins!😉 I HATE having work done on it.
    I have loved looking at your guy's pictures! So glad they're doing this!💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are the lower right teeth. I'm not sure if it's both of the back teeth or just the last one. They are the reason for my dental phobia. I'm hoping this office can numb it better than either Dr. Viswanathan (the Mrs.) or Dr Tuccirone. I'm only terrified if I think about it, so I'm trying to put it out of my mind until next week. Ha ha!

      Delete