Monday, April 17, 2023

Wow! Just Wow!

What a week! So beautiful!!! The long awaited, first whole week of uninterrupted springtime. I soaked in as much as I could possibly hold. Moments at the lake, walks in the woods, and even a late lunch/early dinner with a friend and a sister yesterday afternoon. I couldn't have asked for more.

My usual church buddy was not going to be in attendance yesterday morning, so I took the opportunity to visit a different fellowship. I drove two minutes around the corner to the "Church of My Childhood." (That's not really what it's called, it's simply what it is.) My earliest childhood church memories are of the Webster Christian Reformed Church. My parents were in the group of founding members. It is the "daughter church" of the one I have been attending for the past year and was in the planning stages several years before I was born. It was in this church that I learned to fold my hands, to march around the table singing "Onward Christian Soldiers," and to recite the Ten Commandments, the Lord's Prayer, and the Nicene Creed (along with the Apostle's Creed). It was where I learned about he sacredness of Communion, to close my eyes during long pastoral prayers, and the words to so very many hymns and choruses. Save for one couple, the original founders are gone, the Reverends I knew long moved away. There remain but a few who knew either me or my parents. I'm still processing my visit.

The weather took a drastic change overnight and throughout today. It's not "summer" anymore, in fact we could see snow flurries tomorrow. I have no regrets about spending the entire weekend outside.

4 comments:

  1. ...yep, last week wasn't spring, it was early summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was glorious! I desperately needed such a weekend.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. We all need those weekends to recharge our batteries. I think your visit to your "Church of your Childhood" will definitely need some time to process. Some things change and many do not but " we do" so that has to figure into the equation.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weekend was perfect! It was everything I've been wishing for and the perfect kind for recharging my batteries.
      "The Church of My Childhood"... I so very much want to visit it as it was but that is an impossibility. So very many things have changed, including me. It's still in my heart and mind though and I have so very many sweet memories for which I am grateful.

      Delete