Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Feeling Accomplished

It's done. I have a new filling where an old one used to be. It was entirely exhausting but I survived.

Dental phobia is not fun. I have put the appointment out of my mind for the past couple of weeks. The work had to be done, and worrying wasn't going to change it. The only sign of anxiety was my lack of focus and lowered patience level today. I realized this when I thought to myself, "Wow, Martha! You're amazingly calm..." followed by, "Oh, wait... Maybe that's why you feel totally detached from this job today..." I was customarily disconnected from the anxiety on the outside, yet churning on the inside where even I couldn't see. A little dissociation perhaps?

The appointment went well, even if it did take multiple needle pokes to finally numb my jaw and tooth enough to complete the task. (I lost count of how many but it was at least six.) I knew enough, thanks to a good memory and my sister's comment about her own tooth (on the opposite side of her mouth) that "never gets numb" to speak up.  I'll admit that I didn't like her comment. She was supposed to reassure me, tell me that everything would be fine and I wouldn't feel a thing. But she didn't, and it was probably a good thing because that was on my mind when I walked into the office today and instead of saying nothing, I told them how that tooth did not like to go to sleep. I told them about the dentist who filled it when I was a child and my fear of having it worked on, and found them to be very patient and kind. Even after multiple attempts and a very numb lip, I could still feel when the drill hit a certain spot, but it was tolerable, mostly because I knew they had done everything possible and were still being gentle and kind. Finally the drilling was over and the cavity filled. It's been 3 1/2 hours since I left the office and I still have a numb spot on my lip. Ha ha!

I had so much Novocaine and was so exhausted that I felt a little drunk getting out of the chair. I actually had to catch myself on the wall as I rounded the corner, but I quickly recovered and drove home without getting pulled over for a sobriety test. LOL! I get to go back Monday to have my teeth cleaned. I can't wait! Ha ha!

4 comments:

  1. Yippee..that's done and you survived. Glad you have a new dentist and are pleased. I have a definite phobia too. That and no money and minimal insurance for the amount of work that needs to be done.
    Hope you have a great day.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have no money when this is over as well. I didn't have much to start with so it isn't hard to burn through. Ugh.
      I hope you had a beautiful day!

      Delete
  2. It never really fun to go the dentist, but you should ask him if he does ‘painless dentistry’. This is where you get a bit of laughing gas along with the needle and it works like a charm! Not all dentists use it, but they should!! Yes it’s so expensive, isn’t it? I am so fortunate as I have great coverage through the company I worked for. Cleaning is a breeze!! 😊 And feels so good. Have a lovely weekend!!

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think perhaps at one point he was out in the hall asking his boss about finding a hammer with which to knock me out. Not that it would be painless, but at least I wouldn't be feeling the tooth anymore... For that matter he could have knocked the tooth out as well... LOL! I have some dental coverage through the state but this dentist isn't in that program. I am looking forward to the cleaning being over with too and then a nice six months with no dentist appointments.
      PS. Maybe I'll look into the laughing gas.
      :0)

      Delete