Monday, August 31, 2009

Praying for Dad

My telephone rang early this morning and I answered to hear my mother's voice on the other end...

The two seats three rows back on the east side of the church were strangely empty yesterday morning. My parents come to church every Sunday and are never late, but their chairs remained empty throughout the service. James suggested maybe I go out and call, but I decided to wait until the service had ended. When I did make the call, mom told me that my dad wasn't feeling too good. The doctor had put him on antibiotics for some pain and swelling in his neck, and he still wasn't up to par, but he sounded cheerful when I talked to him, so I didn't worry.

... "Mart," said my mom, "I just wanted to let you know that your father is in the hospital."

My parents had called 911 at 2 o'clock in the morning, something my father wouldn't do unless it was a true emergency. He hates being doted on and checked over, he hates being stuck in a hospital, but he was having chest pains so they made the call.

It turns out his heart is fine. It is his left lung that is giving him trouble. He has a mass in there and some blood clots in the other. I have to admit, it sounds bad, but I refuse to get worked up about it right now. That won't help any of us. Tomorrow they will put a tiny camera down his throat and take a look. Tonight I pray both he and my mom are able to sleep; he in the hospital and she at home.

I found God to be especially kind today. He sent my two nephews, Rachel's boys, to Grandma's house for the day. Rachel didn't even know Dad was in the hospital. Mike and Steve kept Grandma company while she otherwise would have been home alone. She and Mike played an hours long game of "Dogopoly" while Dad had tests done and answered questions. This evening Rachel took her to see Dad.

I went up to the hospital too, and on my way in heard someone call my name. I thought I was going to meet Stacy on the soccer field, instead the Lord saw fit to put her at the hospital when I went to visit my dad. I am amazed again that meeting a blog friend in person for the very first time can be so easy and relaxed. It truly was like we already knew each other. "Thank you for being there, Stacy. I'm sorry I missed you on the way out. They said you were admitting a patient. I'll look for you again Saturday."

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Martha! Your dad is just so warm and sweet. I took it upon myself to go in and introduce myself and we got to chat a bit. You are so blessed. I told him how much I liked two of his daughters and how lovely you both are.

    God is so creative, isn't He? I pray He choses to be merciful, too, in this.

    I will certainly pray for your dad, mom and whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, ouch! God is watching over all of you as he always does, I will add a special prayer for your Dad tonight. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been praying for him too - and your mom! I hope it all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy, thank you so much for taking the time to talk with my dad. He really is a special guy!

    I haven't heard anything new yet today, but will probably go back around dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha I was so sorry to read about your dad last evening. I didn't leave a comment at that time, but have prayed for all of you when the Lord brought you to mind today.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will keep praying for your dad too.

    ReplyDelete