Thursday, August 06, 2009

Tastes Like Feet

No, not the pie...
Ben and Hannah have been helping out with VBS at a local church this week. It is a church where my own children have attended Vacation Bible School through the years and has always been one of Hannah's favorites. She is more than happy to spend her mornings there helping out.

Around noon I went to pick them up and chatted with a few other moms. I was talking to my friend, Becky, when three of the teachers, all sisters, came down the sidewalk on the way to their car. One was carrying a fishing pole and a net, obviously props for today's Bible lesson. "Going fishing? Did you catch anything? Becky asked them. They smiled and one said they had caught a lot of little paper fish. My mind flashed back to Bible stories. "Did you catch any men?" I asked. "No..." replied the one with the net and pole. Here my friend, Becky, piped in again. "They get asked those kinds of questions all the time," she said.

These sisters are all beautiful young women in or close to their thirties. None of them are married. As I rolled my tongue across my toes I realized what they had thought I meant. I tried to get my foot out of my mouth, after all my question had nothing at all to do with their singleness or them catching themselves a husband. "I was talking about Jesus making us fishers of men," I said. It's one of those Bible stories commonly taught to children. I had been pretty sure that was their story today. One of the girls was blushing, maybe I was too, I'm not sure. I tried to assure them I had no intention of saying they needed to be married, I don't even pressure my own children that way. I hope they believed me. One of them was laughing as they walked away...

PS. I won't tell you, but I had pie for breakfast.

2 comments:

  1. How dare you eat the piece of pie right in front of me! ;) I made more blueberry crumb cake last night. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just have to say "just desserts" for your embarrassment after eating that piece of pie right before my very eyes!

    I might add, my husband's family ate pie for breakfast on occasion and I had never heard of that when I came into the family.

    ReplyDelete