Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Left Thinking Once Again...

Father, I want to know Thee, but my coward heart fears to give up its toys. I cannot part with them without inward bleeding, and I do not try to hide from Thee the terror of the parting. I come trembling, but I do come. Please root from my heart all Those things which I have cherished so long and which have become a very part of my living self, so that Thou mayest enter and dwell there without a rival. Then shalt Thou make the place of Thy feet glorious. Then shall my heart have no need of the sun to shine in it, for Thyself wilt be the light of it, and there shall be no night there. In Jesus' name, Amen. ~A.W Tozer, "The Pursuit of God"

I am still holding on, holding on to things that I must let go. Somewhere in the midst of picking blueberries, walking the beach, and admiring picket fences, I have lost my focus again. I have forgotten that this life is not about the "toys". I have gazed through the glass, coveted that which may never be mine, and neglected He who gave His everything that I might be His. He'll let me go after the toys if that is my heart's desire, but that is not really what I am after. I want to give up the toys for something much more valuable, He knows that, and so He brings me back again. It is not accomplished without some pain and bleeding, but I know He loves me and does only what is best.

2 comments:

  1. Funny thing that I should have taken Toy Store photos just last week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very convicting post, as one would expect from A W Tozier.
    And from you Martha, to post it.

    I have that problem, I love pretty things and have many "toys". What I do possess I consider blessings from the Lord and hope that I would be willing to part with all if called upon to do so.

    I am not saying it would not be a struggle, but it is always somewhere in the back of my mind in my times of thankfulness.

    Thanks for the great reminder of where our focus should be.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete