Monday, August 10, 2009

Sodus Point

It was hot and muggy. James decided we should go for a drive before supper, so we piled into the van and headed off to Sodus Point. Ben and James walked out on the pier as Hannah and her friend tried out the swings. I, with my camera in hand, found a bench from whence to take in the scenery.

The lake and sky almost blended into one on the horizon and a great mist settled over the water. The sky was dark but not necessarily threatening, and thunder rumbled in the distance. The gulls glanced furtively at me hoping for a dry crust of bread or a stale potato chip, but I had nothing to offer. When I turned my head to look down the beach, two gulls sneaked quietly up the guard rail toward me.
I was glad to have my camera along as heavy storm clouds and sandy shore created an aura of mystery, almost romantic. I snapped five photos before hearing the disappointing chime that signals my batteries are dead.

I decided to stay on my bench and watch the birds and people. The seagulls continued to watch me. Ben and James tried to sneak up behind but I knew they were there. We watched a large van pull into the parking lot. Several children jumped out and ran for the sandy playground. The parents made a fire in the barbecue grill as the storm continued toward the beach. We left just as the first sprinkles of rain began to fall leaving to my imagination the two little families huddled under the shelter of the picnic pavilion as torrents of rain poured down.

8 comments:

  1. Martha,

    You are such a good writer. I am sure you must have been exceptional in college.

    My husband taught for 15 years after he retired from his career job. He would remark about writing skills so often, or I should say lack of writing skills at the university level.

    I felt like I was sitting there on the bench invisibly beside you as I read your post.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Joy, I have never been to college, but I do enjoy writing.

    The lake really was beautiful tonight.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say something about the story-like quality of your writing as well. I liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha who cares, we don't have to go to college to be wise, hard working, thoughtful. The Lord gives wisdom and everything else we need when we know him!

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Martha! We were talking about going to Sodus Point today, but I think we may be heading to the eastern shore...the little girls want big waves to swim in. I also felt like I was there with you....it is such a pretty place. I really like the playground equipment right there on the beach. Especially the swings. Oh, and that little chime that signals the battery is dying...that is the story of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Della, you must let me know when you go to Sodus. When I saw the big white van pull in, I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot and muggy again, 7 years later! Please tell James I'm sorry I introduced him as Jim. I had just been naming all the kids in my head, and apparently my mommy brain switched some things around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun running into you last night. Jim works fine, lots of people call him that.
      :0)

      Delete