Saturday, August 29, 2009

Remembering Katrina

For years whenever a hurricane hit the gulf coast I watched to see how close it came to Pensacola because my son was going to college there. When Ivan hit Jim was no longer going to PCC, but the years of watching had me interested so I was watching as Hurricane Katrina made her way through the gulf of Mexico.
As Katrina churned through the gulf, we watched the mayor of New Orleans as he somewhat nonchalantly asked the people to evacuate the city. It was pretty obvious he thought the order unnecessary, but when the storm hit land and the levees began to fail, he changed his tune. It was too late.

In March of 2006 both Dave and Josiah teamed up with some other guys from area Calvary Chapels and went down to Biloxi, Mississippi to help with the cleanup. Above is the team. My boys are the two with their mouths hanging open, Joe in the front and Dave in the back. (Go figure.) It had been eight months since Katrina hit. Dave was in awe of the devastation. As the team helped work on a house, the woman who lived there told them "it's like waking up to a nightmare every morning."

I have no clue what it is like to go through a disaster like Katrina or how long the cleanup takes. I have no idea how many outsiders arrived in the gulf to help rebuild. I only know that I am somewhat ashamed to hear people here whine and complain when an ice storm knocks out our power for a week or so. It seems of little consequence to me that all of the food in the freezer has spoiled when we still have a house that is standing and know that all our friends and family members are safe. Mostly I think we are the ones who are spoiled. We should instead be thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Martha,

    You are so right about the perspective we have on our situations in life.

    I feel it is all part of the entitlement mentality that we have in this country.
    We love our toys more than the Lord and His work.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete