Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Blacker the Berries

It is not quite time to pick blackberries. I'm not sure how prolific our harvest will be this year as the continuous downpours of the season have caused the weeds and grapevines to run roughshod over everything desirable. I have cut grapevines out of apple trees, blueberry bushes, rose bushes, perennial gardens and now blackberry canes. It is somewhat difficult to see the thorny blackberry canes through the dense tangle of prolific weeds and vines. I did, however, manage to rip open one of my fingers on the razor sharp thorns and embed several others into various fingers. I went back to the house with about a pint of berries, not near enough to do anything with. Maybe next week I will find them ripe enough to bake a pie or make some jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment