Sunday, October 06, 2019

This Weekend

Saturday morning I visited my counselor's office. It was a teary session, and tears are healing. The woman I see in the mirror today, is not the same one who peered back at me four years ago, and I am grateful for the hand of God in my life. He has never left my side. Ever faithful, He is constantly leading me and helping me grow in ways I never imagined. I am so thankful to be His child.

I did not wander far from home this weekend, but yesterday afternoon Hannah and I took Idris out to wander Once Upon A Child in search of some cozy child-size pajamas. While the little on looked at cars and trucks and the mommy checked out blanket sleepers, I wandered about the store. As I passed one aisle, I caught sight of two slightly familiar looking people. Though I only saw the backs of their heads, it was enough for me to take a step backward for another look, and there looking through baby clothes was my little friend Adam and his mom. How fun to see one of my daycare friends out at the store and to give him a snuggle as his mother's aching arms got a rest. I kissed his little head and told him that I love him, and then introduced him to Hannah and Idris. It was a nice chance meeting.

Last evening I received sad news from a cousin who called to inform me that the husband of my childhood friend had lost his battle with cancer. My childhood friend is also James' cousin, and so the other cousin called. Always the friend and encourager, never judgmental, Ed leaves behind a beautiful wife, six grown children, and a handful of adoring grandchildren who will miss him for a very, very long time. My heart is aching for every one of them.

This morning I forgot to take my phone along when I left for church. I stayed not only for the service and Sunday school, but a meeting afterward. It was almost 3 o'clock by the time I returned home. There were two text messages, a voicemail, and four missed calls. I rarely ever get phone calls, and seldom get texts. One text was garbage, and the other was from my sister. The voicemail was my cousin Pam calling to let me know that her mom, my Aunt Margie, passed away last night. The aunt who loved my little ones like her own grandchildren, who always showed up to our family gatherings, and never failed to arrive with a treat of one kind or another. In my mother's final years Aunt Margie was a constant, faithful friend.

It has been a weekend of loss.

2 comments:

  1. (((((hugs))))
    I'm so sorry for all of your loss this past week.
    Loss is painful be it through death or friendship.
    It seems you are doing so well now that you have a safe place to talk and cry. We all need that.
    Continued prayers for healing of heart and soul.
    Love you even though we have never met.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too, Sue. Thank you for your prayers. I am doing well, but thinking on the weekend to come and trying to determine my plans. There will be a Celebration f Life on Saturday for the cousin, and a Memorial Service on Sunday for my aunt. Also scheduled on Saturday are a birthday party for Number Seven (which I won't be able to make) and a burial (which I haven't decided on yet). Prayers for wisdom of heart and tongue would be appreciated.

      Delete