Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Rainbows

Every other Tuesday night our small group Bible study meets at church. It's been a little crazy because many of these Tuesdays have conflicted with other church activities. Once there was a free Rochester Philharmonic concert and another time it was a church business meeting. Last night the missions dinner was held in the fellowship area and church foyer. As far as I knew our group was meeting as usual.

I couldn't remember whether we meet at 6 o'clock or 6:30 so I sent a text off to the group leader who did not return my text. I tried calling but there was no answer. I set off for the church a few minutes before six as the setting sun was just peeking through the thick layer of clouds that had blanketed the area all day. I marveled at glowing tree tops of glittering gold and fiery red.

The beauty of the trees made it hard to keep my eyes on the road, but when I turned the corner onto Five Mile Line road, a whole new scene caught my attention. A brilliant double rainbow! Although I've been told to "always have your camera along," I did not. The sight was so incredible that I pulled over on the side of the road to absorb its magnificence before continuing on to church where the prayer room sat empty.

The church was full of people enjoying the missions dinner and presentation, but I did not know what had become of my friends. I hadn't dressed for a dinner and had come alone, so I went back to my car and headed home. The sky was rapidly turning black and the rainbow had disappeared. I was disappointed in not finding my group, but still in awe of the rainbow I'd seen just a few minutes earlier.

I came home and looked for pictures on Facebook. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. It was too gorgeous to be ignored. And my friends? They were enjoying the evening activities at church. I'd been sent two texts earlier in the day. I missed them because my inbox was too full. I guess God must have wanted me to see the rainbows.

* All of these photos are the same rainbow seen from different locations. Phenomenal!

4 comments:

  1. God's amazing masterpiece !!!!
    So sorry about missing your small group.
    Life does get complicated sometimes, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems as though life has been complicated for a long time, and yet there is something strangely calming in seeing a rainbow.

      Delete
  2. God's amazing work at hand! He needed you to see the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete