Saturday, January 01, 2011

A New Year

Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." Revelation 21:5

Sometimes it takes a long time and a lot of work to make something, or someone, new. I know this because God has been working on my heart for a long time. Yes, He made me a new creature the moment I gave my heart and life to Him, I was justified immediately, but the sanctification part is an ongoing work and it takes a bit of cooperation on my part.

A few years back I prayed that God would scrape the dirt from the hidden corners of my heart and He has continued answering that prayer to this day. He knows exactly how much "cleaning" to do before it's time to give me a break, and He knows exactly which tools to use to get the job done. Now if only I can remember that He is the One bringing these "tests and trials" into my life and that they are really for my benefit and not total frustration.

If I am honest, I must admit that the past two months with my mom have been an "adjustment." There are challenging moments for each of us, moments when we must practice the art of setting our own wants aside and putting the wants and needs of someone else first. Unfortunately, this doesn't quite come naturally as I can be as selfish as the next guy. (Kathy, I'm still working on it.) I need constant reminders and thankfully, God is good at bringing those into my life. They come in the form of encouragement from friends and strangers alike, programs on the radio (thank you, James), and a book handed me by a friend who had no idea how applicable those written words would be. Incredibly, the issue I am struggling with often happens to be the very one that appears on the page precisely when I need it. I have been reading "Having a Mary Spirit" for over two months now and I continue to be amazed at God's timing. Isn't He awesome?

6 comments:

  1. You reminded me of my eleventh grade English teacher. She had the first name Martha and she once mentioned her distaste for the title of the book, "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard a speaker years ago, but I never for his illustration.

    He said Salvation is a gift we receive the moment we believe, but it come in a box ~~ it's all there but there is SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED.
    That takes a lifetime. Didn't Paul say to work out your salvation... I think that mean daily living...

    So, in my life I need to do some assembling every day.

    Love your heart, and your honesty Martha... I see a Mary heart in you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alana, I had the book for a few years before I actually read it. I don't know why I waited so long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on the Mary heart, Wanda. I am grateful that God can take any heart and make it more like His.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We readers can only imagine what an adjustment it has been. But Martha, you are earning jewels in your heavenly crown. :) I hope the days become easier!

    some assembly required..haha..love that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your humility is touching, Martha. You are doing a wonderful thing with your mom. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete