Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sleeping In

Saturday had finally arrived. No small children whose arrival would drag me out of bed before 7 am., no appointments to make, just a house that was quiet and still. I planned to sleep late, maybe until nine o'clock, but someone stirring in my kitchen woke me from my slumber. It was my dear mother; up, dressed, and washing the dishes. I will say that she was trying to do them quietly, but there are no carpets to absorb noise in this little house and so every sound carries.

I curled up in my favorite, big chair, tried to shake off the sleepies, and finally decided to hop in the shower with the hope that I would feel more awake upon my exit. Finally, I settled back into the chair to brush out my tangles. Pretty soon my mother said, "Well, maybe I'll take a walk out to the mailbox and get my newspaper..." This is akin to her saying, "How about you get out of that chair and fetch my newspaper?" but I played along. "I can just see you dragging your oxygen tank down the driveway through the snow," I said. But she didn't plan on taking it along, she'd just go without it. She's not fooling me. I got up, found my coat, boots, and mittens, and hauled myself out the back door.

She's not really so much different than me. I like to read my "newspaper" too, only mine happens to be on a little counter in the front room and is connected to a keyboard. Mom reads and rereads her newspaper several times each day (I just heard her fold it up again...), and so do I. I just wish her newspaper was delivered a little closer to the door than it is.

4 comments:

  1. You're such a good daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for moms! Next thing you know, she will be sitting in the dark and all because she is to short to change the bulb. God bless her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story makes me chuckle... She is funny, isn't she? I wonder if she feels like, if she asked directly, she would be imposing? Come to think of it, I just may "ask" like that if I were afraid I would be imposing too... You just have to laugh. I like how you played along. It adds a bit of humor to the scenario. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God will bless you for that.

    ReplyDelete