Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A is for Appple

A is for apple.

We live in a little house surrounded by apple orchards. The orchard is a favorite place to walk on summer evenings and autumn afternoons. In the spring they are adorned with pink blossoms and in the winter time the trees stand silent and waiting.

Down the road and around the corner is the Mott's applesauce plant. Many of the apples grown and picked locally end up being turned into juice or applesauce at Mott's here in Williamson (even though the foil covers on those little cups of applesauce say "Plano, Texas"... I don't think there are any apple orchards in Plano, but you can correct me if I'm wrong).

Keeping an orchard requires year round work. It seems there is scarcely a time when there is not something going on there. If they are not spraying or picking, they are trimming, pruning, or planting. Tractors run up and down the road early in the morning and late at night, and the noise of a far off (or not so far off...) sprayer can be heard most days.

Of course, one of the best things about apples is that they make wonderful pies!

Click here for more of ABC Wednesday Round 8.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, Yummy!! And now I'm drooling! Terrific captures and delicious looking apples/pies for the A Day! Hope your week is going well!

    Sylvia
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think it would be wonderful to live near those orchards!

    And I never tire of seeing your pies. Yum! They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best pie maker... Oh my yours is always the best looking I've seen. Would love to taste one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite smell in the entire world is apple blossoms. Now you have me waiting for spring!

    Donna - ABC team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. from tree to me (I wish!)
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring must be such a beautiful time with all those trees in bloom. How blessed you are to be able to enjoy such a place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely surroundings to live and walk in. A great post for ABC wed and my what an appetizing apple pie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm your newest follower from ABC-WED, hope you will follow me back here@ Step Up
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pies look yummy.

    I would love to live with you and go pluck an apple whenever I like. I used to go to the orchards in the early days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A apple farmer friend of my has been retired or one year. You are right there was always something that has to be done and it can'r be put off. You have excellent photos on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed seeing the shots from the apple orchard as well as the apples in crates and the pie. Fun seeing the different ways apples were used this week.

    ReplyDelete