Tuesday, January 11, 2011

ABC Wednesday- Letter Z

Z is for Zydeco.

I always assumed this music was Cajun, but it turns out to be Zydeco which makes a very nice post for the letter Z. Actually for most of my life I was totally confused as to what kind of music this was. It sounded like the stuff my mother in law said her cousin played on the radio up in Nova Scotia and the guy was singing in French, but it appeared to be filmed in a hot and sunny climate, not quite like what I thought the maritime provinces of eastern Canada would be.



Come to find out the French were years ago ousted from Nova Scotia and sent to Louisiana. That explains the similar music style, the French language, and the summer time video. It all makes perfect sense.

By the way Z is also for zero and that is about what the temperature feels like outside right now. It's freezing!

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like the "Blue Ridge Boys"

    Some good looking food there...What an interesting post for Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like zydeco a lot. I always think of it as being from the African-American community in Louisiana. The center of zydeco dancing is Lafayette, Louisiana. Those guys can really dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fascinating - we learn so much each Wednesday!
    Thanks so much
    Denise
    ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love zydeco music. have a couple albums I always play before Ash Wednesday.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fun, intersting and educational post.

    nathalie
    abc wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had always thought the Acadians left Canada voluntarily, but you're right, Martha, they were expelled in 1755-1763.
    I hate when people do that.
    Many settled in Louisiana and became known as Cajuns. Others were transported to France.
    Some eventually returned to Acadia (the former French colony in the Canadian maritime provinces) where they settled primarily in New Brunswick.
    To this day, Nova Scotians play music like this, with fiddle and accordion, although most of them are of Scottish descent.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I've never heard of this before, but then my historical knowledge of the South is not too good. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete