Saturday, January 08, 2011

A Little Bit of Blizzard

Saturday is my day to run around and get as much accomplished in a few hours as is humanly possible. This is done while almost everyone else is attempting to do the same.

It was a lovely January day. James was working, Hannah was gone to a friend's, and Ben had spent the night with one of his brothers. I packed Mom into the van and headed out to Webster. While Mom spent a few hours at Rachel's house, I ran errands. I went to the bank and cashed a check. I went to another bank, cashed another check, and got a cashier's check to pay a bill. I went to the post office. I went to another bank and made a deposit. I stopped in BJ's and then went to Kohl's and Target to pay bills. Across the street I wandered about at Wegman's trying figure out what to feed my family and "flowers" this coming week. And then my final stop, Walmart, where I desperately tried to remember everything I needed in order to avoid a return trip in the near future.

The roads had been clear and dry all afternoon and it was just starting to snow when I started for my van in the Walmart parking lot. I was hungry and thought I'd take a quick run through the drive-thru at Taco Bell. In the ten minutes it took to get my Chalupas, a mini blizzard hit. The snow was falling quickly and piling up fast. Giant flakes stuck to my windshield and invaded the interior when I rolled the window down. By the time I pulled back onto the road, driving conditions were terrible and visibility was almost nil. I slid past one of my turns in a feeble attempt to slow down. I picked Mom up at Rachel's and started home only to find a rather large section of Rt 104 (between Rachel's house and Wegman's) closed due to a weather related accident. I had to wonder about all the red lights and slow lines that stretched my running of errands across three hours time, and once again thanked God for having me just where He wanted me to be throughout the day.

PS. No this photo is not from today. It was taken on an outing last January.

7 comments:

  1. Our snow didn't hit fast like that...it's been falling slow and steady for two days.

    Sounds like got a lot of stuff done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so glad when you called me to let me know you made it home safely so I didn't have to fret. I like it when Mom comes over for a visit, thanks for bringing her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even imagine running errands in the snow....

    Sounds pretty scary. Glad you got home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in Ovid all day because of a funeral on Jamie's side of the family. It wasn't bad down there at all.

    Glad you are safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you were safe. It's no fun to be out in that kind of weather. Give me a roaring fire, a cup of soup and a good book during any kind of storm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thing is it wasn't like that the whole time I was out, only at the very end. Had the weather been that contrary earlier, I'd have probably stayed home. And, by the time we went home the driving really wasn't so bad either.

    Wanda, you get used to it after a while.

    ReplyDelete