Friday, January 14, 2011

Snowglobe

Sometimes the air is full of them; giant, fluffy, white flakes of snow, falling through the icy winter air. From the warmth of my living room, the world outside appears to be a life-size snow globe, shaken up and left to settle. It is a world fresh and clean, clothed in white. The air is crisp and snowflakes cover the ground like a thick, white down quilt. The world is in a winter slumber.

I am not always thankful for snowy days and temperatures well below freezing. Sometimes I forget to appreciate the beauty of these somewhat rare days. Not every winter day is fresh and clean. Not every winter day am I privileged to spend inside where it is warm and cozy.

The house is quiet and still. Little ones lie snuggled under blankets, a thumb or maybe a couple of fingers stuck into a small mouth. The fire hisses and my dog lets out a sleepy groan as she stretches on her rug in front of the stove. I should be curled up in my favorite, big chair, but time has gotten away and it will soon I will venture outside, drive to town, and bring Ben home from work. Somehow, right now, I am looking forward to crawling into my bed tonight, putting my head on my own familiar pillow, a warm husband by my side... My eyes are feeling sleepy already. Maybe I need another cup of coffee.

PS. It IS snowing in these photos. Click on them and you can see the flakes against both the tree trunk and the picnic table.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love snow. We have about the same amount as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what lovely pictures, and I did enlarge and can see the flakes.

    Listening to you describe going to bed, your own pillow a warm husband...Boy, I just want to go to bed too. (That didn't sound right...with MY husband!!!!)

    ReplyDelete