Monday, January 24, 2011

Following Rabbit Trails

I woke this morning to find a strange and mysterious zigzagging trail through the snow in our yard. There were spots where the maker of the trail had obviously either lay down or sat to take a rest, but I was confused as to what kind of creature had left it. It appeared to go in only one direction, leaving me to assume the animal had passed by on it's way to somewhere else. In the frigid, subzero morning temperatures, I decided to investigate, following the tracks backward toward the bottom of Barn 3 and toward the old migrant shack out back. There the mystery was solved when I realized the trail had been left by a dog-like creature with only three legs.
For many years winter brought out the puppy in my silly, frolicking dog. Now she struggles to keep her footing on good ground, falls often, and sticks much closer to home. She has wandered up the road to visit Martin just once since Christmas and spends her nights "secretly" sleeping in the blue chair which is occupied by Mom in daylight hours. I feed her glucosamine tablets each night in hopes of relieving the painful arthritis that appears to plague her. In spite of her limitation, she still gets excited on cold winter mornings and I see the shadow of a younger dog who would run circles through the yard, threatening to hit me like a freight train. She chased snowballs and ate snow. She hasn't given up yet and I suspect she had an idea about going to visit Martin as she made her way through the blueberry patch the other night. She must have decided better of it when she got down near the road and came home instead.

4 comments:

  1. Awww...it's hard getting around in the snow when you're healthy! Poor thing!

    We have tracks in our yard, too and I finally figured they are rabbit tracks. I wonder if Nugget watches from the back door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking maybe a fox or something. I felt kind of silly and slightly disappointed when I saw the three footprints down under the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What heart that dog has!! I'm impressed.

    I had to laugh as I read Betsy's comment and could picture Nugget watching rabbits.. Makes me think of the Veleteen Rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something that I love about Jazz, sweet dog.

    ReplyDelete