Tuesday, January 25, 2011

B is for Blueberries

B is for Blueberries

On the east side of our property, a nice little distance from the house, is my struggling blueberry patch. For the past ten summers I have spent untold hours standing out there, sunshine or rain, picking berries. I have been helped my friends and family, but the majority of the the picking has been left to me. Most of the time I am not bothered and enjoy the peace and quiet of the blueberry patch.

On a good year, when there is plenty of rain and lots of sunshine, the crop is good. I have been known to fill buckets and boxes and set them out front for neighbors to buy. I've been known to give folks a bargain because otherwise no one stops to buy any.

Blueberries are good for baking. We put them in muffins, coffee cakes, pancakes, and pies. I have turned them into jam, tossed them on my breakfast and eaten them fresh off the bush. Birds also like blueberries and we often find them half-eaten which is rather frustrating. I have several bags of blueberries waiting in my freezer. Maybe I'll turn those berries into pie... or a Blueberry Buckle!

Click here for more of ABC Wednesday Round 8.

10 comments:

  1. How I remember your blueberries from past posts. How I can just smell the pie, and I have a watercolor painting made into notecards of your blueberry banner.

    I will give Bethany a set of my notecards for you when she visits.

    You pictures are just wonderful as I've never seen that many blueberries in one place!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda, I almost posted a picture of my blackened blueberry pie but decided not to. (It was burnt.) There are many more blueberries across the street than there are here but I don't take pictures of them. :)

    I can't wait to get the note cards! Now what can I send you...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm really beginning to get jealous of where you live. Apple orchards and blueberries? Sweetness abounds in your world. Very nice "B" post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look lovely - perfect for muffins! I don't think they grow much around here, we are more a blackberry area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow lucky you, a great "delicious" post ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. and blueberries are GOOD for you - antioxidants and whatnot.

    On behalf of the ABC Wednesday team, welcome, and thanks for participating! - ROG

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a treasure in those blueberries. Take good care of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How I love blueberries. I loved the colours in your post...makes me wish for summer.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love blueberries and used to have 3 bushes. After over 20 years, two enormous ones were lots to an 18 month severe drought. One is sort of hanging in there but not like it used to. Your shots brought back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been trying to grow blueberries but I'm not very good at it. There are so few berries, I leave them for the birds.
    Excellent B post, and I love the photos.
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete