Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year


"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17


A brand new day, a brand new year, a brand new chance to start over... I was thinking this morning of the gift of salvation and God's offer to us, an offer to start new, to have a clean slate and a brand new heart. Every morning is a gift from Him, another new start of sorts.


James and I went for a walk in the orchard across the street this afternoon. The trees are bare, the ground wet and muddy. Usually at this time of year the ground is covered with a blanket of snow, the tree branches cold and naked, waiting for springtime. I thought it interesting how God has His own way of taking what is old and making it new each year. In order for the new leaves and fruit to grow next year, this year's leaves and fruit have had to die. In a way my life is the same. In order for God to produce new fruit in me and make me continually useful, I have to let go of the old. Old things need to die to provide room for what is new. My prayer this year is that I will let God work in me what He desires to do, to remove the old and dirty and replace it with what is fresh and clean.

6 comments:

  1. What a great post, Martha. I too need to let him remove what is old and used in me and replace it with something new.

    Wish you a blessed new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    Oh I know the Lord will bless you!
    and He is at work in you now.
    you have blessed me with your gracious comments many times over and it will not go unblessed by him. i am positive about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! I will try to remember to let God work- sometimes I don't want to let go of the old and dirty. I love the concept of a continual new start. I need to reflect on what God is really offering in "a new creation".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking along the same lines. May the Lord continue to work his good work in us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thea is the name and Lemming is exactly what the title says..... a small rodent which God made as a basic food sourse for the animals on the tundra. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. yup you were LOL !
    I plan on changing some thing on my blog now that I actually have some bloggie friends. and I will put a picture of me up there as well as my name. LOL.
    I didn't think anyone would be interested in the quiz thats why I took it off.....

    ReplyDelete