Friday, January 12, 2007

Two Boys, One Girl

Here we are at the Buffalo Zoo in 1986. We had two little boys and a baby girl. A woman just going into the zoo offered to take our photo as we were leaving. It's one of my favorite family photographs. Now 20 years later, we again have two boys and one girl living in our house but they aren't little like this. They're all taller than me and not one of them is pictured here. All of these little people have grown up and are out on their own. Jim went to college and graduated and both Dave and Bethany have gotten married.

I'm getting old (at least it feels that way) but here in the photo we were really just starting out. We hadn't yet bought our first house but that wasn't far off. We hadn't met our four other children nor did we ever dream we would have seven. I'd never heard of home schooling and if I had, I would have been sure it wasn't for me. James hadn't even considered running his own business and come to think of it we'd never bought a brand new car. Neither one of us had been to college and I had just gotten my driver's license.

It seems such a short time ago and yet a long time ago too. Sometimes I wonder what the next twenty years will bring...

9 comments:

  1. How time flies! I remember when they were all that size too. We never realized how fast time would go back then.

    Obviously you guys ran into a clown somewhere at the zoo, who made the boys some balloon animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there happened to be some clowns at the zoo that day. We had also happened to borrow a camera from James' mom. That's why the picture turned out so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice picture. And what wonderful memories and thoughts to go along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that photo too! My but where do the years go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, where did the time go? Doesn't make you sad, a little at least? The other day we watched a home video of 16 years ago and I kept thinking "Wow...who ARE these peole??"
    We think we are still the same, but really, we are not. So much changed... hopefully for the better.... growing in love and growing in love for God, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, so much changed... I don't need diapers anymore (Praise the Lord!)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Gudrun, it is a little bit sad. I try to count the blessings the Lord has showered into my life and I'm so thankful for what he has given me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, click on the photo and you can see the clowns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's hard to believe for me too! i remember i was the teenage aunt! They were all born during my high school years and first year of college.

    ReplyDelete