Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Tuesday

It has been my responsibility at the daycare to open our baby room each morning. During the school year we might have up to seven or eight children arrive by 8 am. Denise, our present cook, would come in to help once the fifth child arrived. Those were busy mornings full of breakfasts, bottles, diapers, and lots of toys. Mornings are quieter during the summer. Today we had just two infants, one a brand new start.  He's just 3 months old and adjusting, which means he's quite sad in the morning. He won't have time to get used to me. Thankfully, he's done very well with our other infant teacher.

Today I opened the infant room, but first I sat in the toddler room because the toddlers were arriving in droves. (I always help out there until my babies arrive.) I went back to the infant room when more toddler teachers came in. I went on an very early break today, 9 am. (Totally out of the ordinary but okay.) On my return, I helped out with the Pre-K class (4 yr olds) for a little while before giving one of our school age teachers a lunch break. From there I went to break the two toddler teachers. Two hours of mostly sitting while the little ones napped, and then a little time of coloring at the table before it was time to leave for my TB test.

Some of our toddlers were in the infant rooms last year, including two of my girls. A third will return in September. My little friend Mara always looks for a hug and recognition. I doubt she remembers her time with me in the baby room, but there is no question that she knows I love her. She cried when it was time for me to go today. Ugh. :(

Three more days. One more with the twins...

3 comments:

  1. Awww....what a hard week for you! But there will be more babies for you to love at your new work place.
    Big hug
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more babies, yes. In the next job they will not leave as soon as they are able to reciprocate love and affection. The next place has a continuum of care and the teachers move with the children until they turn three years old. How fabulous is that?
      Martha

      Delete
    2. There. Now I'm signed in. Blogger never used to play these games.

      Delete