Friday, August 18, 2023

Cape Cod

It's been a beautiful week at the Cape. We visited at least seven beaches (Cocle Cove Beach, First Encounter Beach, Morris Island Loop Trail at the Monomy Wildlife Refuge, Marconi Beach, Head of the Meadow Beach, and Nauset Beach), stopped at the Chatham Pier and Fish Market, and walked down Commercial St. in Provincetown. We bought pie at Marion's Pie Shop and had ice cream at the Brewster Scoop in Brewster, Sundae School in Chatham, and the Ice Cream Cafe in Orleans. 

Our first night we bought clam chowder from Mac's Fish Market. On Sunday we ate at the pier. I got fish (haddock) and chips. On Monday, after our day at the beach, we went to Arnold's Lobster and Cam Bar where Laura and I split a Seafood Platter (whole belly clams, calamari, shrimp, scallops & codfish). When we went to bed four hours later, I was feeling itchy. I had some hives in random places, which is not totally unusual for me. I read my book before we turned out the light. It was when I settled down to sleep that my throat first felt a little scratchy. It got scratchier as time went on and my tongue slowly began to feel thick and stiff. By the time I woke Laura's friend Dorrie, who was sharing a room with me, I couldn't talk above a whisper. (I'd already swallowed an extra Claritin.) Dorrie woke Laura and they called 911 but by the time the EMTs arrived my tongue was starting to feel a little better and my voice was beginning to come back. The head EMT said he didn't think I was having an allergic reaction (at least not anaphylactic) but I didn't eat any more seafood after that. I will admit it has been hard to watch them eat it and go without. I would have loved to have another round of Fish and Chips but I couldn't chance it. I'll be talking with my doctor when I return home.

(I started this while still at the Cape but never had a chance to finish.)

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are okay dear. Such a beautiful east coast summer. I appreciate you sharing this with me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never wanted a good piece of fish so much in my life. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Omg! Ever eaten this dish before? Could have been something else...side dish?
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm placing my bets on either the shellfish or the cod. Other than that it was just fries and cole slaw.

      Delete
  3. Wow, glad you are ok...so scary. I'm glad you had such a wonderful week at the Cape. You needed it and it was the perfect medicine before starting your new job.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect in between vacation. The Cape is beautiful! I hope to return again someday in the no so very distant future.

      Delete
  4. We discovered my son's shellfish allergy at Arnold's too! I do love the Cape - Wellfleet especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wild! What were your son's symptoms? Did he end up in the hospital?
      I am hoping to have some answers before too long and have an appointment with am allergist in September. (I'm still a little disappointed that I didn't get another fish and chips.)
      Thank you for commenting.

      Delete