Wednesday, December 25, 2019

And So It Was Christmas

It came. Christmas came. And it was nice.

I attended the Christmas Eve service at my own church this year. My son Joe came along, and my son Ben met us there. After the service my daughter Bethany found us in the church foyer. She had been there too. Had Number Nine not been running a low grade fever after his nap, Hannah and Sergio might have come along. Even the thought of having four of my seven there makes me feel blessed.

Less than two weeks ago I was worried about being alone on Christmas, but God had other plans. He intended this to be the gathering spot today. I thought maybe the house was too small for the entire family, and then I remembered days of childhood when the house was filled to overflowing, and so we filled it up again.

I brought all my Christmas decorations back downstairs and stretched the dining room enough to fit four extra table leaves. The afternoon was spent conversing, playing video games, and eating goodies and appetizers. Toward dinner time Sergio's family came and we shared a meal of spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and bread. There were twenty for dinner, although two small boys decided not to eat. We even had leftovers.

After dinner there was pie. If there is pie, it must be eaten... And then, when some of the company had said their goodbyes and headed out the door, the rest of us settled down in the living room to watch A Muppet Christmas Carol; Beth and Josh, Josiah, Ben, Hannah and Sergio, me, and James. And it was nice.

4 comments:

  1. ...family time, what a wonderful Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It was perfect.
      Merry Christmas, Tom.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Martha, this brought tears to my eyes.
    How good God is...He blessed you with a wonderful Christmas, full of love and the making of beautiful memories.
    So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers. It was a beautiful day.

      Delete