Sunday, December 15, 2019

A Little Christmas, Perhaps

Another weekend is coming to an end. Less than two weeks' time remains until Christmas. Today found me more than a bit terrified of the holiday that in the past has meant so much to us as a family. There have been difficult Christmases in the past, but this one was feeling difficult in an entirely new way. Friends have begun to ask what I'm doing, and I had no answer. Who would pick up the reins and host our family Christmas?

In all honesty, I had begun to think all of my kids had plans that simply didn't include me, and then another thought occurred. Maybe they didn't know what to do either. With the farm sold our usual gathering place is non-existent. Bethany hosted Thanksgiving and she is tired and pregnant, two of my boys are single and living in apartments, another is going to his in laws (I assume). Jim lives out of state, and Hannah may be going out of state. (She won't know for another few days.) That leave one other son with a very small dwelling, or James, whose apartment probably can't accommodate the whole family. Perhaps I wasn't being left out at all. Maybe nobody knew what to do... So today, while a friend at church prayed for me to connect with my two single boys, I connected with the whole family instead.

I am formulating a plan, simple plan. Maybe simple foods and a movie, or a puzzle for those so inclined. And those Christmas books I haven't yet wrapped for the grandkids. I don't want any of my family to spend Christmas alone, and I don't want to be alone either.

8 comments:

  1. ...as the kids grow up and marry, the holidays can get complex. One BIG happy family in one location isn't always possible. I hope that things work out for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know not everyone will make it, and that's okay. I only want for each family member to have a place to go. No one should be alone on Christmas.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a great plan. It does get harder as the kids grow and move away.
    Alone at Christmas time isn't a good thing. Glad you took the reins and are trying to plan a simple something.
    Potlucks, games and movie work really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay if kids have other plans, and some of them do. I only want to make sure none of my people are feeling left out and depressed, or teary like I was. I would have survived, or found someone to hang out with, like I probably will on New Year's Even.

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha, what turmoil for you, I am sorry. I hope it works out, a simple Christmas is the best kind anyway. I'm praying for you too, and one of these days, we need to go to brekky again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day is a little better than the day before, and God is always good. Thank you for your prayers. (Your new grandson is beautiful! Soon I will have another too.)
      Brekky sounds perfectly delightful!

      Delete
  4. Merry Christmas-first few are difficult!! Keep writing and maybe journal also!!!

    ReplyDelete