Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Snowy Roads and a Late Start

I woke up on time this morning, but somehow left the house later than usual. It was just a few minutes later, but the roads were snow covered and it was still dark. I swept the snow off my already warmed up car, headed out and immediately caught two red lights. About five minutes into my drive I came up behind a CDS Monarch van traveling anywhere between 20 and 30 miles an hour. I prayed it wouldn't turn from Plank Rd onto Salt, but it did. I hoped against the odds that it would turn onto Atlantic Avenue, but it didn't. I was quite relieved when it finally turned onto Penfield Rd. and was going the opposite direction than me.

I made decent time driving down Gananda Parkway, and a good portion of the way down Canandaigua Rd as well, but just before I reached the junction with 31F another very cautious driver blocked my way. I was slightly impatient, but only because I knew I was destined to be late for work, and I hate being late. I realize there are a myriad of reasons for drivers to travel under the speed limit, especially in poor weather conditions. Tires and experience in the snow are just two of them.

I waited, mumbling a little bit under my breath, as I waited for Mr Sporty-Looking Car to cross the intersection. He was so very careful about crossing that I knew the double hill ahead might pose a challenge for him (or her). The brake lights lit up multiple times on the way down the hill and I couldn't help thinking how he was going to need that momentum to climb the hill on the other side... I was not wrong. He was losing speed as he went. "Don't slow down!" I instructed, but he paid me no mind.

Not far from the crest of the hill his tires began to spin and he came to a stop. I had to think fast as I did not have any way to help and did not want to become stuck on the hill myself. I peered into the darkness to his left and prayed no one was coming up the road on the other side, then I drove on past as did at least two people behind me. A short distance down the road I passed a semi headed his direction, flashed a warning with my high beams, and continued on to work. I was seven minutes late.

6 comments:

  1. ...ah, the joys of winter driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Ha ha! Just another upstate NY winter.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. That's something I have never had to experience...thankfully.
    It just scares me reading your tale of woe.
    7 minutes late wasn't too bad considering all the problems in your way.
    Be safe ...
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven minutes according to the time clock at work anyway. It runs slow, presumable to keep us from punching out too early.
      This is winter, and this is why snow tires are a good idea.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. Yikes! I do not miss my old commute to work. My 3 minute drive to work today was pretty uneventful.😄 I even drove home for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive in today was uneventful. The drive home was slow. In all honesty, I don't really mind the drive all that much as long as my feet aren't unbearably cold.
      :0)

      Delete